Apple Cinema Display

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
My particular experience with Apple's products has been quite favorable, if we forget a certain PowerBook 5300ce back in the heady days when Apple's fortunes were on the rocks.

More recently, however, I did run into an issue that is described in a recent article in my weekly newsletter.

Here's the link:

http://www.macnightowl.com/newsletter/2006/07/24/newsletter-issue-347/#heroes

Your comments are welcomed.

I read that story in the newsletter. What a frustrating experience, (dealing with heavy rain never helps any situation either). I must give you credit for not using your status as a tech journalist to get a more favorable outcome. That shows a lot of integrity and illustrates how and why your reviews constantly maintain a high quality standard.

Had you used your journalistic status to get the problem solved with less headaches it would have compromised the article/review. Kudos to you and good luck with the display. I have been tempted to upgrade from my physically large and space consuming Dual CRT monitors to apples displays for awhile. However, I would want two 20" or 23" models and that would be very costly. Dell has similar products for a lot less. I will be looking forward to a review of dells monitors if they send you one for review while you wait for your apple display to get fixed. It would be nice to hear a direct comparison between the apple and dell models since you will have had used both.

Paul

Paul said:
I read that story in the newsletter. What a frustrating experience, (dealing with heavy rain never helps any situation either). I must give you credit for not using your status as a tech journalist to get a more favorable outcome. That shows a lot of integrity and illustrates how and why your reviews constantly maintain a high quality standard.

Had you used your journalistic status to get the problem solved with less headaches it would have compromised the article/review. Kudos to you and good luck with the display. I have been tempted to upgrade from my physically large and space consuming Dual CRT monitors to apples displays for awhile. However, I would want two 20" or 23" models and that would be very costly. Dell has similar products for a lot less. I will be looking forward to a review of dells monitors if they send you one for review while you wait for your apple display to get fixed. It would be nice to hear a direct comparison between the apple and dell models since you will have had used both.

Paul

You might be interested in some updates here.

First of all, Apple has cut the price on its display line.

Second, Dell sent me a 24-inch display for review. It is still somewhat cheaper than Apple's, despite the price cut. Without going into the details, let me say that it offers an industrial rather than elegant look, special settings for PC and Mac video, four USB ports and a card reader. Clearly Dell understands that Mac users will be the product as well and have set it up accordingly. As you might gather, there's no FireWire, which Apple provides.

I'll have more in the near future.

Thanks for the update.

With the price drop on the apple displays, I am wondering if a new model will be released sometime soon.

One thing you should definitely check out with the dell display (i think the one you have has this feature as most of the bigger dells do) is its ability to physically rotate the screen into portrait viewing mode. There is a preference under displays on your PowerMac that you select after rotating the display. It is great for when your working on certain sized documents, especially with the vertical real-estate you loose on a "widescreen" sized display. I and many others I am sure are hoping this feature appears on the next version of the apple cinema displays.

Paul

Paul said:
Thanks for the update.

With the price drop on the apple displays, I am wondering if a new model will be released sometime soon.

One thing you should definitely check out with the dell display (i think the one you have has this feature as most of the bigger dells do) is its ability to physically rotate the screen into portrait viewing mode. There is a preference under displays on your PowerMac that you select after rotating the display. It is great for when your working on certain sized documents, especially with the vertical real-estate you loose on a "widescreen" sized display. I and many others I am sure are hoping this feature appears on the next version of the apple cinema displays.

Paul

I wanted to post an update on this, Paul, because after all these months, Apple has done nothing but reduce the price of its displays.

Dell's 24-inch display continues to provide great performance.

I also want to add one more thing: I've since traded off that Dell 24-inch display for their new "HC" 30-inch version. This "HC" acronym stands for "high color," meaning that they supposedly provide a larger color gamut to the picture, and their latest 24-inch units have the same upgrade.

To repeat what I said about the 24-inch Dell, because it also applies to the 30-inch version: It has a rather industrial look, but provides great picture for hundreds of dollars less than what Apple offers.

I plan to review the new monitor soon.

In 2015, I upgraded to the 27-inch iMac with 5K Retina Display.

As of fall, 2020 it is "vintage," meaning Apple no longer supports it.

According to the rumors, there will be an Apple Silicon version, possibly with a 30-inch or 32-inch display, in mid- to late-2021. Might as well start filling the piggy bank.

Back