El Capitan

skiziks

Technology Fan
Technology being what it is and my age and computer illiterateness being what it is I don't use iCloud.
Just have no use for it and have ignored it until reading about updating to El Capitan.
Let's see if I have this right, you need an administrator's ID, and an Apple ID. And maybe an ID for iCloud.
The first two are no problem. If that's all I actually need to install the latest and the greatest I'll download it and away we go. But not having an iCloud ID and not interested in iCloud I hope that it's not a necessity to be enrolled in it.
Can you straighten me out?

You can use your Apple ID for iCloud. Nobody forces you to use it.

Your administrator ID for OS X can be your Apple ID or your iCloud ID or whatever ID you wish. Or perhaps they are the same.

So the answer is: Yes, you have to have an iCloud account to actually install El Capitan.
Even if you don't need or even want an iCloud account.
Ridiculous.

Not so. You just need an Apple ID to download El Capitan. You don't have to use that for your administrator ID, but you can if you want. You aren't forced to use iCloud or an iCloud ID. Read my response again please.

OK, you wrote: "You can use your Apple ID for iCloud."
Why do I have to even acknowledge iCloud at all while installing El Capitan?
I haven't downloaded the new OS so I don't know what instructions there are to follow.
If there is an instruction to provide an iCloud ID can it be ignored and left blank?

You will be requested to add your iCloud ID, and your Apple ID can be used for an iCloud account too. But you aren't forced to do so. Just ignore it. iCloud is only needed for the most part for syncing. One example: If you have multiple Apple devices, you can share user IDs and passwords across those devices via iCloud.

But iCloud is absolutely not needed.

Back