iPods

J

Jose Collado

Is it just me or are the 3rd and 4th gen iPod HDDs committing suicide?

I've had to replace several HDDs for these models in the past year. Even my own 4th gen iPod has had surgery 3 times for a new HDD.

I found one link that may be a possible cause. In 6 instances, including my own, the HDD was functioning perfectly until an iTrip was introduced. I don't know how, and I haven't researched this enough to lay claim to it, but my hunch is, the iTrip was a contributor to the HDD failing.

I recently threw a new HDD into another iPod I got from a local second hand store. It ran fine and I checked the HDD regularly for a few days. I zeroed the drive once before installing the iPod software...then...after a few days, I attached the iTrip. Within a few days the iPod HDD was dead.

iTrip could be a possible cause.

Has anyone else had issues like this?

Jose Collado said:
Is it just me or are the 3rd and 4th gen iPod HDDs committing suicide?

I've had to replace several HDDs for these models in the past year. Even my own 4th gen iPod has had surgery 3 times for a new HDD.

I found one link that may be a possible cause. In 6 instances, including my own, the HDD was functioning perfectly until an iTrip was introduced. I don't know how, and I haven't researched this enough to lay claim to it, but my hunch is, the iTrip was a contributor to the HDD failing.

I recently threw a new HDD into another iPod I got from a local second hand store. It ran fine and I checked the HDD regularly for a few days. I zeroed the drive once before installing the iPod software...then...after a few days, I attached the iTrip. Within a few days the iPod HDD was dead.

iTrip could be a possible cause.

Has anyone else had issues like this?

My son had a 3G iPod that had two hard drives go bad. The second was supplied by a third-party repair shop, however. So what can I say?

I think it comes down the the reliability of the HDD. The new flash drives are an improvement...no moving parts!

Back