Paul Thurrott sez: "Long lines at Apple Store Grand Openings make me uneasy"

unclemac

Administrator
Staff member
Paul Thurrott: "Long lines at Apple Store Grand Openings make me uneasy." Hmm, I just read this on one of the many Mac websites about Paul and it makes me wonder how you guys, gals and 'other beings' feel? Whoops! Sorry bout the 'other beings' I thought there for a moment I was on the Paracast forums! LOL ;)
Here's the gist of what he posted:
"My mother in law actually called me yesterday to find out if I was going to the opening of the Boston Apple Store, a question that left me speechless for a few uncomfortable seconds while I pondered a reply. Mentioning this to my wife later, she noted that she was surprised I didn't go. When pressed by what she meant by that, she said, and I quote, 'you enjoy that nerdy carnival atmosphere,'" Paul Thurrott writes for Windows IT Pro. (AKA: winsupersite.com)
"Certainly, I've gone to my share of Apple events, standing in line a like a goof and interacting with the local Mac population... They're usually a good time and a chance to interact with people who are passionate about technology but not overly aggressive like the fanboys you run into online," Thurrott writes. "Still, I have this vague notion that waiting in line for a retail store to open for the first time is one of many small steps down the road to the collapse of Western civilization, and for this reason the whole thing makes me uneasy."
Gene, David anyone else what do you think? :)
I will say that I see his point but from what I've heard and never yet attended the Apple Store Grand Openings are events and not like Wally-Worlds with a generic sale. :(

I attended two Apple Store openings in Arizona, and they were pleasant experiences. Thurrott is just jealous that people don't stand in line to get Microsoft products these days.

So sad but true. :( He even said he had a good time and it's too bad he hasn't or won't switch since he'd probably feel at home if he did. Hmm, perhaps he's a "closet Mac user" :question: LOL ;)
I switched officially in early 2K3 but wanted to do so years earlier. I do sympathize with them, Winbloze users, and their troubles or frustrations. That way I don't hate I assimilate when possible! :D Ha-Ha! If nothing else I plant "Apple seeds", pun intended. ;)

I went to my local Apple Store in Baton Rouge this past Sunday, which has only been open for a few months, and I had a good experience for my 1st time. :) My MacBook was in need of repairs and I dropped it off at the Genius Bar and had good but not super fantastic service. I had to leave it for a few days so I'm typing this on my old hot-rodded to the max iBook G3 Clamshell 466mhz running Panther. It's not as snappy but not as bad as I would've imagined even on a "B" wireless network.
Anyway, I brought along my nephew-in-law and after I showed him around or gave him a tour he's really thinking hard now on getting a Mac for his next computer and even realizes that they're NOT over priced! Wow! He's actually paying attention! :-D It was very crowded and busy in the Apple store and not just the touchy-feely curious ones but real customers. :) I can report that I overheard a father with his small family tagging along explaining to a very nice and informative Apple sales associate, that his Dell has been giving them troubles and he wanted an equivalent replacement. My ears perked up and I was pleased that the salesperson was very friendly and willing to show them, starting with the Mini and work up from there. As they walked away from my range of hearing I believe he also offered to assist them in transferring the data from their Dell and mentioned Parallels, VM Ware Fusion and Boot Camp. After that I couldn't hear them anymore but the father seemed very relieved, encouraged and the rest of the family had the happy "YES!!" look! Ha-Ha! :D

Back