Scratched CDs & DVDs

skiziks

Technology Fan
The Apple forum has a few pages detailing discs getting scratched while either inserting or ejecting them from the late 2009 iMacs.
Apparently, if the user does not use extreme caution when using this media with these iMacs there is the potential for the discs to be scratched to the point where they are useless.
Apple Genius bar technicians and Apple Care technical people deny knowledge of this problem.
The aluminum edges surrounding the slot are very sharp and the potential for damaging discs is quite clear for anyone who simply reaches around to the side of the computer to use the optical drive and does not make sure that the disc is square with the slot. Not easy to do without standing up first or turning the iMac so that the slot faces the user.
If Apple will not recognize that this is a serious problem there could be an opportunity for a third party to develop and market a plastic bezel to snap into the sharp opening.
Anyone out there ingenious enough to solve this problem for the rest of us?

The Apple forum has a few pages detailing discs getting scratched while either inserting or ejecting them from the late 2009 iMacs.
Apparently, if the user does not use extreme caution when using this media with these iMacs there is the potential for the discs to be scratched to the point where they are useless.
Apple Genius bar technicians and Apple Care technical people deny knowledge of this problem.
The aluminum edges surrounding the slot are very sharp and the potential for damaging discs is quite clear for anyone who simply reaches around to the side of the computer to use the optical drive and does not make sure that the disc is square with the slot. Not easy to do without standing up first or turning the iMac so that the slot faces the user.
If Apple will not recognize that this is a serious problem there could be an opportunity for a third party to develop and market a plastic bezel to snap into the sharp opening.
Anyone out there ingenious enough to solve this problem for the rest of us?

The slot-loading drives used in the late 2009 iMacs are very similar in design to the ones Apple has used for a while now. They shouldn't be any more prone to damaging media than any other optical drive of recent vintage. I would expect, however, that if you did experience damage to optical media, taking that disc to an Apple Store's Genius Bar along with the iMac would be sufficient reason to make them honor a warranty claim.

Also that some people report a problem in a discussion forum doesn't mean it's widespread. It may just be one of those things — there will always be a small percentage of even the best-built electronic gear that's defective in some fashion.

Taking it back to the Apple store to demonstrate the problem would result in a solution.
Exactly what I thought would happen.
I took the iMac back with the Office 2008 disc that an Apple store technician scratched when HE loaded it when I bought the iMac. I also brought a few discs that I had personally scratched when using the optical drive.
The tech duplicated this problem on an iMac on the sales floor of the Apple store. He was quite surprised because he had never heard of scratched discs before. Which if earlier iMac designs had a similar or identical slot design would have generated a few complaints of which he would surely have been aware. This problematic design is exclusive to the late 2009 iMacs in my opinion.
My old iMac did not scratch discs, none of the cars I ever owned scratched CDs, our Sony Blu-Ray player does not scratch DVDs. Why should any device using discs scratch discs?

Taking it back to the Apple store to demonstrate the problem would result in a solution.
Exactly what I thought would happen.
I took the iMac back with the Office 2008 disc that an Apple store technician scratched when HE loaded it when I bought the iMac. I also brought a few discs that I had personally scratched when using the optical drive.
The tech duplicated this problem on an iMac on the sales floor of the Apple store. He was quite surprised because he had never heard of scratched discs before. Which if earlier iMac designs had a similar or identical slot design would have generated a few complaints of which he would surely have been aware. This problematic design is exclusive to the late 2009 iMacs in my opinion.
My old iMac did not scratch discs, none of the cars I ever owned scratched CDs, our Sony Blu-Ray player does not scratch DVDs. Why should any device using discs scratch discs?

A defective drive, as I said. And I agree that the Apple person was surprised, because I haven't seen it on my 27-inch iMac. Things happen.

I still have a 1st generation Intel white iMac, different from yours I know, but I've never had a scratching problem. However, I've had numerous ejection issues with optical media particularly with the Memorex brand. It has increased in frequency of late and I'm all but certain it's the age of the drive and how many long hours it has accumulated over the years nearing 4 years old.
I suppose you don't have Apple Care which in this instance may've helped somewhat but if you recreated the issue on a floor model that should backup your claim and give them reason to help you solve the issue.

Don't forget that a "Late 2009" iMac is still under the one-year product warranty. It should be a trivial matter to get a replacement optical drive if the present one is scratching media.

I am not a technical person, but I don't think that the optical drive itself is at fault. But I could be wrong. The edges of the iMac's aluminum frame, the slot for the CDs, are nearly razor sharp. When I purchased this iMac the Apple store techs set it up, they loaded Office for Mac and they scratched the disc doing so. I'm not going to modify the slot with tape or do any filing of any kind. The tape has glue that may eventually find it's way inside, and so would any aluminum filings if I would attempt to file the edges of the slot.
I brought the iMac back to the Genius bar. They tried to duplicate the problem and succeeded with my computer and one on their floor. But offered no solution, no replacement. They were at a loss for any help since they were completely unfamiliar with the problem. And I do have Apple Care.
Perhaps stopping back to discuss it again would help. Maybe more iMac owners have come forward with scratched discs. ????

I think those scratched CD/DVDs in the iMacs is because the user putting in the CD/DVD in at an angle. With the slot drive on the right side this would be a plausible situation. Scratches on CDs can be removed with toothpaste and some light elbow grease.

Back in the mid-90's I had a small video game store and with the CD games; Sega CD, 3DO, Jaguar CD, Saturn and PS1, I had serious scratching issues. Luckily, they where NOT on the label side since that's where the damage cannot be undone the data is on that side of the disc. The shiny side as most folks call it is the one that's repairable and a DJ customer/friend at the time told me to use car wax and with the elbow grease it worked! Toothpaste would've been cheaper and easier with 20/20 hindsight. :D LOL
Back in the day there were some expensive automated cleaners, polishers/buffers and even one that would bake the disc to melt the lacquer so it would fill in the deep scratches. :cool:

Back in the mid-90's I had a small video game store and with the CD games; Sega CD, 3DO, Jaguar CD, Saturn and PS1, I had serious scratching issues. Luckily, they where NOT on the label side since that's where the damage cannot be undone the data is on that side of the disc. The shiny side as most folks call it is the one that's repairable and a DJ customer/friend at the time told me to use car wax and with the elbow grease it worked! Toothpaste would've been cheaper and easier with 20/20 hindsight. :D LOL
Back in the day there were some expensive automated cleaners, polishers/buffers and even one that would bake the disc to melt the lacquer so it would fill in the deep scratches. :cool:

I have one of those cleaning systems. It cost maybe $30 or so as I recall, and it seems to work all right. I got a handful of Netflix DVDs to work after they developed the skipping disease.

Back