Smug and Insulting?

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
Dear kevin scoville,

Welcome to The Tech Night Owl LIVE Community Forums!

We welcome you aboard, and hope that you'll have a great time here with our community as well.

Thank you for your show and providing me with this means of a reply. I'm listening to a show right now online on ITunes (Gene's show) and I just heard some guy talking about people in the airport pulling out their huge heavy laptops and sounded so smug about why do we need such a heavy thick item to browse the internet anymore. His smugness was insulting not taking into consideration there are those of us that can not afford a several hundreds of dollars to purchase another new computer when the one we have now is working fine even though it has a DVD player and is heavy and thick. Geez, I get that same smugness thing from all the "Apple" lovers. I mean why the "us vs them" attitude????
Kevin Scoville
Crescent City, CA.

I moved your thread to the appropriate forum.

You have this issue seriously confused. The person you are complaining about, Daniel Eran Dilger, was making a value judgment about the quality of products, not telling you that you had to sell off your PC notebook and buy a MacBook Air. I'm sorry you missed that.

But it's also true that the PC makers, helped by Intel, have noticed. The Ultrabook reference design is intended to give PC makers technology to build imitation MacBook Airs, with a few optional features to make it seem as if they are different.

There is no "us versus them" attitude -- except, it appears, in your mind. And I am not sorry to speak the truth.

Gene,

First of all thank you for moving my post to the appropriate thread, I appreciate it. I'm not really that good with forums as I haven't participated in them all that much. So I thank you for putting it where it belongs and I will try to follow the thread thing more closely.

Secondly I believe if we all are to participate in adult conversations we should not be afraid of "the truth" or of being corrected where we are mistaken. I am not offended by your correction above.

It's just that when your guest was talking about how pc users had to (I'm only paraphrasing here) lug out our pc with the thick body and unnecessary DVD players and all just didn't "get it" (my words). That part of the conversation just felt demeaning to me, rightly or wrongly. It just made me feel like he was saying those of us still using a pc must somehow get with it (again my words) and go out and get an apple product fix our situation. I'm having a hard time expressing what I mean. Anyway, the crux of the matter was it just sounded to me like he was not taking into account the fact that there are some of us out here that just can't afford to go out and get whatever the next "best thing" is when the tool we have now, a pc laptop, is still work fine.

So it may be true that my feeling of being looked down upon because I don't have an IPad was not what was intended by your guest. If so then yes I must have been confused and jumped to make a statement based on only a portion of the interview. Please understand that I have no "us vs. them" attitude but I do believe that I see it around me all the time. I make reference to the fact that I have friends and family that are solely Apple product users so I get the "I'm old fashioned" (or other similar such comments) thing all the time. It's just that I learned on a pc 20 some odd years ago and it's just what I'm used to. Those who choose Apple products are ok by me, I guess I'm just a little touchy for the reason I explained above.

So to close I hope I've explained where I was coming from in my original statement and if I over reacted by misunderstanding your guest my apologies. I mean I am a pc user and I try to catch your show online and listen regardless of what product your guest prefers.

Thank you for responding so quickly, I do appreciate that. It's cool that you keep an eye on your forum and respond so soon. It really shows your interest in what your listeners have to say. Especially to me, as you can see I can get wordy.

Best Regards and I'll keep listening when I can. I have to try to catch your show late at night online via ITunes. I do believe you have a very interesting show and again thank you for responding, it was totally unexpected. I honestly thought my shot was going to go by unnoticed.

KS
Crescent City, CA.

Points taken, Kevin. Nobody is forcing you to buy anyone's product. There are many people who just don't like Apple and would never consider any of their gear. The fact is, though, that more and more people are buying Apple products because they offer a far better user experience. The PC makers and handset makers are also busy emulating Apple when they can. Take HP's Envy Spectre XT, a notebook that is clearly meant to look like the MacBook Air, even though HP wants us to believe otherwise. Except for the stupid name of course. :)

Back