Switching Too Late ?

HerbVista

Technology Novice
Some Switcher comments followed by a question ...

Comments:

While my current Pentium IV PC hardware continued to age as I waited for Apple to produce a "new" MAC-Mini or a 15" Macbook so that I could "switch" to OSX, the wife was fortunate to acquire an old iMac G5 1.6GHz desktop in excellent condition. I bought a copy of OSX 10.5.6 to install over 10.3 already on the machine (and preserving the apps).
Though the G5 can be noisy, it does have the advantage of a Matte finished screen and a multitude of connections.

The G5 has become a testbed for trying out the Mac Experience and testing X11 connectivity to my Linux systems. Of course I do not get the chance to try VMware Fusion or Bootcamp.

We are now contemplating buying a new Intel IMac but we do not like the "glass" screens.

We looked for 15" screen Macbooks but only found the Pro models ... and with "glass" screens ... and the new 17" matte model is over the budget.

We then thought about the Mac Mini, which would give us a chance to pick out a Dell Monitor but the Mini is too under powered.

The Mac Pro is overkill and too large for our purposes.

While we don't mind putting a good deal of money into a display (and have done so in the past), we can't seem to find a reasonably priced Mac to act as our system unit.

On the otherhand we noticed some older, refurbished 15" MacBook Pro's that had good features and matte screens ... but we don't want to buy old equipment ...

So, I wonder if we were too late in switching since the new hardware/monitors/laptops don't have the features or pricing we want.

We will continue to use the G5 but suspect that Apple and the new Apps will shortly abandon the PowerPC Macs, especially a 1.6 GHz model.

Question:

Is there any hope for a capable Mac Mini or a 15" Macbook (not Pro) with Matte finish in 2009 or early 2010 ?

Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated.

Ah ! A Mac Mini would be perfect ! Once saw a Mac Mini + 23" Apple Display in an Apple Store and the wife approved !
Thanks for the information !

Herb Stein,
Stamford, CT

Ah ! A Mac Mini would be perfect ! Once saw a Mac Mini + 23" Apple Display in an Apple Store and the wife approved !
Thanks for the information !

Herb Stein,
Stamford, CT
If you haven't ordered it yet, hang out a few more weeks. They are probably going to have a new model soon, one that'll be fully compliant with Apple's new 24-inch display.

Back