The Great Debate!

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
While I'm sure most of you probably don't care, it's quite true that putting a Mac and PC user in the same room can generate more arguments than putting a Democrat and a Republican in the same location.

So why should one's choice of computer operating system matter? As a matter of fact, most of the time you don't have a choice. You have to use what they give you at the office, assuming you don't own that office, of course.

Windows Rocks... to a point... I guess one can say... then Linux Rocks... and then Apple...

However, for home / graphic use Apple rocks... for a fast paced environment Windows is good as it as a wide set of programs that work with it.

Gene Steinberg said:
While I'm sure most of you probably don't care, it's quite true that putting a Mac and PC user in the same room can generate more arguments than putting a Democrat and a Republican in the same location.

So why should one's choice of computer operating system matter? As a matter of fact, most of the time you don't have a choice. You have to use what they give you at the office, assuming you don't own that office, of course.

Exactly the way I feel. Thanks for mentioning this.

To be brutally honest...I choose to use MacOS because the print/design industry is heavily Apple dominated but I also use PCs as RIPs for high end large format digital printing.

From experience, I use the OS that does the specific job better. I use PCs for the RIPs because the software seems to be generally PC based and the RIP software on Mac was always a little limited. I needed full control of the color profiles etc.

I always tell people to use the tools that help do the job...PC or Mac.

I was lucky enough to work generally with Macs but when I worked as a Systems Manager for a large printing company I enforced the use of PCs in some of the production areas. Artist had Macs for their desktop with a PC sitting right beside it. All artwo9rk on the mac and all production on the PC.
I still use my SGI indy as a RIP at home! Ooops...did I start another argument? ;)

Back