TV over ADSL - 3rd Jan show - Kirk McElhern

Frootloop

Technology Fan
Interesting piece on the state of Apple TV and the limitations of outputs from the device.

Personally, I think that the lack of support for older style TV's is limiting the market for the device. Indeed, how difficult would it have been to include at least an s-video port on it? Ok so the quality wouldnt have been as hot on s-video devices, but at least they would have been catered for.

In the UK we have a pretty good system that is produced by BT (British Telecom) called BT Vision. Its provided free of charge with their top Broadband package which also includes a Homehub wireless router and a VoIP telephone which also doubles as a normal DECT phone with the ability to switch between the VoIP line and the standard line. The BT Vision box itself is a Philips unit that is based upon the Microsoft Media Room system and provides the normal PVR features, EPG, twin DVB tuners, a 160gb HDD and Content On Demand via ADSL. Although the content available (via both on demand and DVB services) is still standard definition only, the unit has HDMI ports availble on the back and will upscale content to 1080i. However there are also s-video and Scart ports available for use on older TV systems.

Granted, there have been some users with initial problems in set up of this system, but I have found it to be excelent for delivering on demand content to my appartment for which Cable and Satelite is not available. HD content will be impractical on the current ADSL network as the speed simply isnt up to delivering such large volumes of data in a streaming format. BT is in the process of upgrading all its exchanges to ADSL2+ which should offer speeds of up to 24mbps. Although, this will probably not include FTTH and may take up to 2011 to impliment across the majority of the UK :S

I truely believe that most of the media and information services that we receive in our homes can be delivered via ADSL (or whatever variant eventually replaces it), but this will take time and suffer with various issues until it becomes as commonplace as the TV itself.

I understand the situation. Very frankly, the Apple TV isn't even close to being on my shopping list. I have a high definition DVR from the local cable company, Cox. It's not TiVo in terms of a fancy interface (but there will be TiVo software in the near future). However it does what I want it to, which is to be able to easily peruse show schedules, and set automatic recording. Picture quality is indistinguishable from "live," so whose to complain?

It really isnt that long ago when we were happy to walk around to our local blockbuster and bring home an armful of tapes or dvd's, popcorn, pepsi and possibly a tub or two of ice cream (and to be fair, my local Blockbuster is just 10 minutes walk away). Then arrived the net-flix' of this world to provide the interim product until on demand content is more widely availble. My local Blockbuster is certainly feeling the pinch with its deminishing customer base and in all fairness, how is it expected to compete when people wont even need to arise from their sofa's to hire the movies that they wish to see?

Im more than happy with my setup as it is, and must confess that I really dont spend much time watching TV at all. But the facility to record DVB content is important to me, as its the only way I can sift through the drivel that surrounds the few shows that I actually like :D

Frootloop said:
It really isnt that long ago when we were happy to walk around to our local blockbuster and bring home an armful of tapes or dvd's, popcorn, pepsi and possibly a tub or two of ice cream (and to be fair, my local Blockbuster is just 10 minutes walk away). Then arrived the net-flix' of this world to provide the interim product until on demand content is more widely availble. My local Blockbuster is certainly feeling the pinch with its deminishing customer base and in all fairness, how is it expected to compete when people wont even need to arise from their sofa's to hire the movies that they wish to see?

Im more than happy with my setup as it is, and must confess that I really dont spend much time watching TV at all. But the facility to record DVB content is important to me, as its the only way I can sift through the drivel that surrounds the few shows that I actually like :D

Yes, we have Netflix too. Can't live without it. :)

WOW...you guys have some great products up there. Too bad Australia is so far behind. Our broadband blows. I get a better connection with a piece of string with cans at either end. Our mobile network is just getting into 3G. Before that our mobiles were so old they didn't have SMS...no...they had smoke signals.

Netflix? I think we have that. It's expensive though. We also have similar services...also too expensive. One state is equipped with video on demand via cable. It's just a shame they implemented that in a state where no one actually wants to live.

TV sucks...I hate everything on TV...except Battlestar Galactica. I also like America's Next Supermodel because I get to yell abuse at the TV and I consider that a form of therapy.

Back