Cost of Dell vs Apple Monitors

maccam

Technology Novice
Based on numerous comments on TNO Live, Dell monitors appear to be very good values in the US. This is not the case in the UK.

The cost of 30 inch Dell is £1,185.58 inc VAT, which is nearly identical to a 30 inch Apple at £1,199.00 inc VAT (Apple UK Store). The Dell is more expensive than the cost of an Apple display at the UK educational store: 30 inch Apple Cinema Display = £1,049.00 inc VAT.

This is not to say Apple displays are good values or even competitive in the UK. I have a 24 inch ViewSonic, which is really excellent and was £200 (ca. $400) cheaper than an Apple 23 inch Cinema Display (£599).

Apple needs to price their displays more competitively.

maccam said:
Based on numerous comments on TNO Live, Dell monitors appear to be very good values in the US. This is not the case in the UK.

The cost of 30 inch Dell is £1,185.58 inc VAT, which is nearly identical to a 30 inch Apple at £1,199.00 inc VAT (Apple UK Store). The Dell is more expensive than the cost of an Apple display at the UK educational store: 30 inch Apple Cinema Display = £1,049.00 inc VAT.

This is not to say Apple displays are good values or even competitive in the UK. I have a 24 inch ViewSonic, which is really excellent and was £200 (ca. $400) cheaper than an Apple 23 inch Cinema Display (£599).

Apple needs to price their displays more competitively.

They also need to update them, because the present models are getting long in the tooth.

In saying that, I always felt the 24-inch Dell provides a noticeably better picture than the 23-inch Apple. The ball is in Apple's court here.

We use the Apple cinema displays at work. I've noticed some major image persistence on the monitor which at one stage, I didn't think was possible in such high cases. Seems everyone on our level has it to some degree. Image persistence seems to be a major problem with the cinema displays from what I've heard from a friend at Apple.

I can't wait till the company upgrades so I can get my hands on one of the ex lease monitors. I still prefer my Sony 21" CRT and calibrating for print is pretty easy. Though...I may need to step into the new age of LCD soon. I'll have more real estate on my desk with the footprint of an LCD rather than the huge CRT's I have now.

It will also stem the shock factor people get when thy see my desk. Instead of "Sweet lord baby jesus!", I'll hear "Hey, nice monitor"

I've only ever had Sony monitors be it the Apple or SGI 21". Would love to know what other brands are worthy of interest. I had a DiamondView 19" LCD for about a month and got rid of it. I've never really been too adventurous with my monitor brands.

Back