iPhone and touch screen feedback

P

Paul

I was listening to the show last night when Jason Snell was on talking about the iPhone. He brought up the fact that the iPones touch screen does not have any type of force feedback when you touch a key. That is interesting because the technology exists and works very well. My car stereo (Alpine IVA-W200) has a touch screen with pulse touch. It works great. Every time you touch a menu item on the screen, be it a DVD menu or ipod interface menu it gives off a slight electronic pulse so it feels like a button. I bet they could have put something like this in the phone. It is really not an issue with me, but I find it interesting that so many people are bringing it up as a non-feature in the iPhone.

Paul

Link to IVA-W200: click on "direct connect to your iPod" on the right of the screen, select see it work, select IVA200 Video, and watch the demo it is pretty cool.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=IVA-W200

Paul said:
I was listening to the show last night when Jason Snell was on talking about the iPhone. He brought up the fact that the iPones touch screen does not have any type of force feedback when you touch a key. That is interesting because the technology exists and works very well. My car stereo (Alpine IVA-W200) has a touch screen with pulse touch. It works great. Every time you touch a menu item on the screen, be it a DVD menu or ipod interface menu it gives off a slight electronic pulse so it feels like a button. I bet they could have put something like this in the phone. It is really not an issue with me, but I find it interesting that so many people are bringing it up as a non-feature in the iPhone.

Paul

Link to IVA-W200: click on "direct connect to your iPod" on the right of the screen, select see it work, select IVA200 Video, and watch the demo it is pretty cool.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=IVA-W200

Also consider that we don't know all the features of the iPhone yet. Perhaps Apple will do something to provide a substitute for tactile feedback. Maybe just a beep, but something.

Back