Leopard Experiences

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
As the weeks pass, there are more and more reports about Leopard's reliability. For the most part, it's been excellent. There were some issues, mostly resolved with the 10.5.1 update, but some of you still have problems.

So, good or bad, we'd like to know about them in this thread.

I'm generally happy with the Leopard. It did run a little slow on my G4 iBook but that was soon running fine with a little tweaks. Runs great on my MacBook and going to throw it on my Quicksilver G4. I used on of the old G4's sitting in the store room at work as a guinea pig.

One issue was my wacom tablet wasn't supported in 10.5. That sucks because I haven't used a mouse in years but again, that was quickly resolved by installing similar wacom software. I can't get my Motorola V3 to sync anymore and that was always an issue with USB compatability in the OS and was fixed in terminal in 10.4.9 but haven;t gotten around to doing it in 10.5.

The visual previewing is a little slow on the older macs. Not a major issue. It's just optional eye candy but the PDF and Quicktime previewing is pretty cool. Booting is a little slower on my iBook but again, I use that thing to death so it's self induced bloatware on my behalf.

I'm running bootcamp on the Macbook and haven't tried WinXP yet...I try my hardest to avoid M$ unless absolutely necessary.

Obviously, Leopard is working a lot faster on my MacBook and I'm just glad Apple isn't phasing out pre intel machines at this stage. I'm not going to upgrade all my macs because most of my Macs are junkers I've thrown together for specific purposes so I can't afford for them to run slower.
In general...any issue I have had has been very small and I'd have to allow for the machine I installed it on not being the latest and greatest. It functions fine regardless. Safari still sucks! Every OS has its teething problems and unlike anything from M$, the MacOS has always been pretty smooth...except 7.5.3 to 7.9...oh god...they killed me!

One thing I love about Macs is the way the interface has a lot of thought behind it. As a designer I can appreciate the visual asthetics and the functionality. I loved the older beige Macs when they had the signatures inside the casing. Even back then the OS was great...well...OS8 was a major improvement with multitasking. I use PCs and Macs but will always prefer the mac. I find myself no longer needing to defend macs now that the general public has opened their arms for them. Funky colored iMacs did a lot for the public perception of an already excellent machine.

Its funny how far Leopard has taken OSX. I just installed a new monitor into an iMac G3/600 running 10.1.2. I played around with it to make sure everything else was ok and I noticed a lot missing that I've been taking for granted with every X upgrade.

Took me forever to jump on OSX due to Quark having issues. When I did take the plunge I was like "Whoa! Where did my mac go man??" A few days later I was like "Ahhhhhh...there you are!"

*sniffle*

memories

Its funny how far Leopard has taken OSX. I just installed a new monitor into an iMac G3/600 running 10.1.2. I played around with it to make sure everything else was ok and I noticed a lot missing that I've been taking for granted with every X upgrade.

Took me forever to jump on OSX due to Quark having issues. When I did take the plunge I was like "Whoa! Where did my mac go man??" A few days later I was like "Ahhhhhh...there you are!"

*sniffle*

memories

Even more interesting is how quickly Snow Leopard replaced Leopard, and the vast number of Mac users who upgraded so quickly and so successfully. :)

Back