move over? pc to mac advice pleeeeease?

Frootloop

Technology Fan
Hi Guys, this is my first post on here. Thought i would drift on over as a result of a post over at the paracast RE platforms.

About 14 months ago, I was in the market for a shiny new laptop and decided to take a look at the range of macs which were on offer at that time. Obviously i fell in love with the system, yet didnt buy one. Why? well, at the time I was about to start a home study robotics course and Mac's were simply not supported by the course software. So off i went and bought an xp laptop :(

Now... since then, my situation has changed totally, I have now been off work sick for about 12 months and have since set up as self employed carying out illustration and design work for various contacts using Corel Draw on my trusty laptop. With the advent of Vista, I can safely say that MY NEXT SYSTEM WILL BE A MAC (just want to make that clear ;) ) and am wondering about the switchover. I realise that i can use parallels or boot camp for running XP but as i would like to use the mac in Native OS X and realise that i will probably have to switch to Adobe Illustrator. Has any one here done a similar switch?

I would probably go the iMac route as i like the form factor and feel a mini will probably prove to be somewhat restrictive. And the new aluminum casing will of course match my ipod mini ;)

Frootloop said:
Hi Guys, this is my first post on here. Thought i would drift on over as a result of a post over at the paracast RE platforms.

About 14 months ago, I was in the market for a shiny new laptop and decided to take a look at the range of macs which were on offer at that time. Obviously i fell in love with the system, yet didnt buy one. Why? well, at the time I was about to start a home study robotics course and Mac's were simply not supported by the course software. So off i went and bought an xp laptop :(

Now... since then, my situation has changed totally, I have now been off work sick for about 12 months and have since set up as self employed carying out illustration and design work for various contacts using Corel Draw on my trusty laptop. With the advent of Vista, I can safely say that MY NEXT SYSTEM WILL BE A MAC (just want to make that clear ;) ) and am wondering about the switchover. I realise that i can use parallels or boot camp for running XP but as i would like to use the mac in Native OS X and realise that i will probably have to switch to Adobe Illustrator. Has any one here done a similar switch?

I would probably go the iMac route as i like the form factor and feel a mini will probably prove to be somewhat restrictive. And the new aluminum casing will of course match my ipod mini ;)

Corel Draw documents can probably be exported to Adobe Illustrator without much difficulty, as the latter is an industry-standard format for graphic artists. I think that would be a better solution than trying to stick with Corel and using Parallels. Obviously the cost of Parallels and a new Windows license would be equal to or greater than buying Adobe's software.

That would be the best possible switch I could suggest.

In terms of learning curve, most drawing programs have a standard set of tools, so it should not be a huge problem. There are lots of good books on Illustrator out there.

Thanks for the info Gene... I hadnt thought about exporting the documents lol but yes, its definately possible.

I recognise Adobe Illustrator as being the industry standard for illustration (which the mac itself is too i guess)

Frootloop said:
Thanks for the info Gene... I hadnt thought about exporting the documents lol but yes, its definately possible.

I recognise Adobe Illustrator as being the industry standard for illustration (which the mac itself is too i guess)

Best of luck with it, and let me know if you have any further difficulties.

Back