Moving the OS to a new HD

Richard

Technology Novice
Hi, this is more of a "Helpdesk"-Question but hopefully someone can give a hint:
I finally decided to move the OS to an SSD. If I look at the Discussion-Forums, it seems quite involved: Move that Folder, delete that Folder clone that drive etc....

My Experience with Time-Machine was really great (when I deleted the Lion-Image BEFORE the Lion-installation was done but AFTER it overwrote the bootparameter... My Fault)

so I basically thought:
-> Put in new SSD and remove old drive
-> Rescue-System kicks in and offers to reinstall Lion
-> "Yes, I have a time-machine image"
-> DONE
Am I missing something?

The Rescue System is a partition on your old drive, so you'd have to rely on a net restore, where it's downloaded again from Apple.

Myself? I rely on a cloned drive and a Time Machine drive for local backups. So if anything happens to the internal drive, or I decide to just replace it, I can restart from the cloned drive to restore things to the replacement drive.

Hi, this is more of a "Helpdesk"-Question but hopefully someone can give a hint:
I finally decided to move the OS to an SSD. If I look at the Discussion-Forums, it seems quite involved: Move that Folder, delete that Folder clone that drive etc....

My Experience with Time-Machine was really great (when I deleted the Lion-Image BEFORE the Lion-installation was done but AFTER it overwrote the bootparameter... My Fault)

so I basically thought:
-> Put in new SSD and remove old drive
-> Rescue-System kicks in and offers to reinstall Lion
-> "Yes, I have a time-machine image"
-> DONE
Am I missing something?
clone the boot drive to a ssd is best suited because it is just a mirror copy of the OSX. Moreover, ssd being the boot drive helps in fast boot making Mac quicker than before.

Just an update: As regular listeners know, I wrote up reviews of two OWC SSDs that I installed on my late 2009 27-inch iMac and a 2010 17-inch MacBook Pro. In both cases, aging computers got new leases on life (helped with RAM upgrades). Startups are several times faster, as are app launch times. As SSDs get cheaper, they become a great way to keep your Mac chugging along.

Back