mySQL Cluster and Mac Server

RonCollins

Technology Novice
Let me start by saying that I know next to nothing about Mac server class systems and OS. I have recently purchased a few iMacs to do compatability testing for a software package. Needles to say, I was impressed with just about everything. Until this point I have been a UNIX and Windows guy. Now that the base architecture for OSX is UNIX I am wanting to know more. With that in mind...

I am thinking of moving some things off of MSSQL and on to mySQL and need to get this going in a clustered environment. mySQL cluster does not work on Microsoft server environments (performance concerns I'm told). MSSQL licensing is outragous and the OS is multiple layers of security swiss cheese since NT so moving away from this headache is OK with me. I am very comfortable with Linux, HPUX, FreeBSD and Sun. Most of my hardware is HP, Compaq, or IBM.

I want to know if anyone has used mySQL cluster on Mac hardware and OS. Also, I have 2 EMC SAN's and want to make sure there are no difficulties in configuring mySQL cluster or the Mac OS to store the database files and logs on a remote SAN. I see that Mac offers a SAN product, but I paid a bunch of dough for the EMC's and can not get away from them.

Oh, and by the way, are there dual chipset NICs on MAC Xserve? If so are they both GigE?

Thanks

RonCollins said:
Let me start by saying that I know next to nothing about Mac server class systems and OS. I have recently purchased a few iMacs to do compatability testing for a software package. Needles to say, I was impressed with just about everything. Until this point I have been a UNIX and Windows guy. Now that the base architecture for OSX is UNIX I am wanting to know more. With that in mind...

I am thinking of moving some things off of MSSQL and on to mySQL and need to get this going in a clustered environment. mySQL cluster does not work on Microsoft server environments (performance concerns I'm told). MSSQL licensing is outragous and the OS is multiple layers of security swiss cheese since NT so moving away from this headache is OK with me. I am very comfortable with Linux, HPUX, FreeBSD and Sun. Most of my hardware is HP, Compaq, or IBM.

I want to know if anyone has used mySQL cluster on Mac hardware and OS. Also, I have 2 EMC SAN's and want to make sure there are no difficulties in configuring mySQL cluster or the Mac OS to store the database files and logs on a remote SAN. I see that Mac offers a SAN product, but I paid a bunch of dough for the EMC's and can not get away from them.

Oh, and by the way, are there dual chipset NICs on MAC Xserve? If so are they both GigE?

Thanks

This is more than I can really answer, since my servers are Linux (CentOS).

However, the Xserve is all gigabit Ethernet.

For the rest, the documentation with Mac OS X Server is pretty good and should explain most of what you need, since you already know your Unix.

Beyond that, let us know and I'll alert my network people and see if we can't dig up more for you.

thanks I appreciate it.

Way over my head there but would these links help perhaps?
http://developer.apple.com/ http://developer.apple.com/products/online.html
There's a free membership offer and paid ones of course with benefits:
Become an ADC Member today with a free ADC Online Membership. When you sign up for an ADC Online Membership, you'll receive access to Xcode Tools, the bi-weekly ADC News, and the opportunity to purchase technical support and tickets to the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference. With go-to-market programs including the Macintosh Products Guide and Mac OS X Downloads, you'll have critical business information and co-marketing resources to help you successfully market and distribute your products.
Become an ADC Online Member
Free
Key technical resources such as Xcode Tools
Free subscription to ADC News
Access to SDKs and DDKs
Go-to-Market programs including the Macintosh Products Guide and Mac OS X Downloads
Ability to purchase Technical Support Incidents

i wonder if Apple's Xgrid would be helpful to you?
Apple’s Xgrid technology makes it easy to turn an ad hoc group of Mac systems into a low-cost supercomputer. Leveraging the power of Mac OS X Server, Xgrid is an ideal distributed computing platform for individual researchers, specialized collaborators, and application developers.

http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/technology/xgrid.html

i wonder if Apple's Xgrid would be helpful to you?
Apple’s Xgrid technology makes it easy to turn an ad hoc group of Mac systems into a low-cost supercomputer. Leveraging the power of Mac OS X Server, Xgrid is an ideal distributed computing platform for individual researchers, specialized collaborators, and application developers.

http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/technology/xgrid.html

Thanks, I'll take a look.

Back