New Geekette Here:)

Geek Girl

Technology Novice
Hi.

I am a budding geekette wanting to learn more about computers. I'm considering enrolling in college to specialize in Network Security, as I LOVE fixing my friends and families' computers for them:) I do the simple stuff that they don't know about....using the free antivirus programs, clear their cache, take their homepages back from hijackers, that kinda thing. It's really easy stuff, but you'd be surprised how many people don't know about this stuff!

I have NOT listened to a single episdode of The Tech Night Owl, but will start with the earliest and work my way up. It appears this forum talks more about Mac vs PC's, tho? (I only know about PC's at this point).

I'm a self-taught beginner at all this trying to figure out if I could even DO this field or not. I've looked at some of the courses online that one has to do when majoring in IT and it sends me running! :eek: (I'm talking specifically about the Math classes, it was never my strong suit!).

So...I'm about to get some books on C++ and A+, etc. and want to know your opinions on what books are good for a beginner:)

Thanks!

Oh and btw, I have been a regular listener of The Paracast show for past year or two now and thought I'd try joining here to perhaps learn and get help.

Geek Girl

Hi.

I am a budding geekette wanting to learn more about computers. I'm considering enrolling in college to specialize in Network Security, as I LOVE fixing my friends and families' computers for them:) I do the simple stuff that they don't know about....using the free antivirus programs, clear their cache, take their homepages back from hijackers, that kinda thing. It's really easy stuff, but you'd be surprised how many people don't know about this stuff!

I have NOT listened to a single episdode of The Tech Night Owl, but will start with the earliest and work my way up. It appears this forum talks more about Mac vs PC's, tho? (I only know about PC's at this point).

I'm a self-taught beginner at all this trying to figure out if I could even DO this field or not. I've looked at some of the courses online that one has to do when majoring in IT and it sends me running! :eek: (I'm talking specifically about the Math classes, it was never my strong suit!).

So...I'm about to get some books on C++ and A+, etc. and want to know your opinions on what books are good for a beginner:)

Thanks!

Oh and btw, I have been a regular listener of The Paracast show for past year or two now and thought I'd try joining here to perhaps learn and get help.

Geek Girl
I've a suggestion. Go to Apple Developer Connection and check their free documentation on writing software for Macs. You need a Mac to run their development tools, however. You don't have to pay for one of their developer programs, but the material might be helpful.

Hi Gene. (You also know me on The Paracast Forum as Bixyboo, btw.)

I do not own a Mac, but I will still check that link out, thank you!:)

I'm also going to go to the bookstores and look at some basic books on the subjects I mentioned in my first post, too.

Thanks for your help!

Geek Girl

Hi Gene. (You also know me on The Paracast Forum as Bixyboo, btw.)

I do not own a Mac, but I will still check that link out, thank you!:)

I'm also going to go to the bookstores and look at some basic books on the subjects I mentioned in my first post, too.

Thanks for your help!

Geek Girl
I'm not a programmer, so I really don't know what book to recommend. I suppose anything in the "For Dummies" series is a good place to start, though.

Back