Now About The Amazon Kindle Fire

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
Amazon's Kindle Fire tablet arrived with loads of pomp and circumstances, but skepticism on the part of industry pundits. It may be fine for book reading and perhaps videos, but it's not the all-encompassing computing device to compete against the iPad. And you're locked into Amazon's ecosystem, and you can't even use other Android apps, even though the Fire uses that OS.

Color me skeptical. But if you readers have other ideas, let us know.

Just as an update, it appears that a key reason that Amazon's financials weren't so great in the September quarter is due to the fact that they are selling the Fire at a loss. Time will tell how that will work out.

I think 20% of potential tablet customers want what the kindle does and only what the kindle does and that at the current kindle price. Loosing $50 per device is a small price to pay for all the ebook sales. When these users expand there horizons to apps then they can get them from the kindle app store, It may not have as many apps as the Google Play store but its better controled and virus free. Developers say more profitable for them compaired to Google Play. And just like Google pushes regular Android device users and apps to use Google services, Amazon does the same with there Amazon Prime services and Amazon Cloud services.

I've played with the Kindle Fire. I'm just not impressed. And the apparent success of the $399 iPad 2 appears to indicate that lots of people are willing to pay somewhat more for something far better. If someone wants just an ebook reader, they can get a $79 Kindle, not a wanna be tablet. :)

Its not just and ebook reader its a media consumption device. the fire model lets you consume netflix and video. Kindle buyers might have eventualy bought IPads but there defently getting want they wanted out of the device. The tablet market is still small compaired to the rest of the mobile devices. Where not at the point where one device is going to canablize the sales of another. As for wanna be tablet. These buyers dont want anything else. yet.

Back