Please Help Us Land a New Advertiser!

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
Larry O'Connor, of MacSales.com, is a pretty skeptical businessperson. He is interested in advertising on our shows and sites, but he first needs proof that our listeners will respond to his promotions.

He's got a hot-selling product, the Power2U AC/USB wall outlet. It makes your walls "today ready" by making it simple to charge your USB devices from your AC outlet -- that includes your iPhone, iPad, iPod, and any other device that needs a USB port to recharge. Lots of Android handsets and tablets use it too.

Here's a special link to go to Larry's site (where he has loads of peripherals for Apple gear):

macsales.com/power2u

If he sees sales, we get the advertising deal. Obviously we don't want you to buy something you don't need, but if you do, via that link, it'll mean a lot.

Personally, I think the show’s got enough advertisers… but my thoughts on that matter are already posted elsewhere on this forum. Really though, I’m all for more sponsors, if their spots would only play once per show.

It doesn't mean that you hear more ads on the show. Less fillers, more real advertisers who pay us real money, that's all.

The number of spots is part of the network's schedule. So that doesn't change.

I still don’t understand what the network’s schedule has to do with the podcast versions. They’re not on a network; they’re on my iPod, with no need to fill a time slot. I dunno. Maybe if the network had someone tech-savvy who could explain that stuff to them, like someone who hosted a show about computers and technology.

The network sells ads for all versions of the show: live, on-demand, and podcast. So it's not that we can remove their ads. It's the price of free radio. Some networks, such as Clear Channel, do not offer free podcasts of their shows. If you want them, you pay a monthly subscription fee. I expect they come without ads, but, once again, they aren't free. GCN doesn't offer such a service.

This should maybe be moved to a different thread, or even a different forum about GCN in general, but the way they do the podcast versions actually turns people away, as shown by the iTunes reviews of this podcast for example. Listen to any podcast that’s not put out by commercial radio, even a podcast with many sponsors, and it’s nowhere near this ridiculous.

I’m not complaining that there are ads; I hear more podcasts giving me promo codes for Audible than I can recall, and I don’t mind at all. I’m complaining that there are multiple ads being repeated two or three times within the same show, because the network don’t have enough of them to fill 25% of the runtime. I wouldn’t mind so much, and might actually listen, if they only played once per episode and the breaks didn’t last five minutes each. [Edit: I hope you’ve listened to your own podcast, or you wouldn’t know I’m not exaggerating.]

I’m just saying, I’m just some random guy on the internet to them, but you do a show for them and you’re a tech guy, so they’d be much more likely to listen to you about this stuff.

This is an economic argument, not a technical one. If the network removes ads from podcast versions, they will have to charge advertisers less for spots. And remember that three minutes of those ads each hour belong to us, and we depend on that advertising to pay the bills.

That you hear ads multiple times doesn't mean the network isn't getting paid for them.

Is there a better way? Not in the traditional radio business. We continue to explore different possibilities, but joining the network has greatly expanded our reach. As I said, the price of free radio is advertising.

Back