Screwed up beyond belief

Ah, the smoking gun. Most people buying Android smartphones are getting an operating system that dates back to the end of 2010. Need a security update? Pray the wireless carrier and handset maker will figure out how to get it to you.

My own concern: under these conditions, it must be frustrating/discouraging/offputting for developers to write apps that will run reliably under all variations of Android. How did this situation come about? MS, after all, has always put out an OS that runs successfully on a huge variety of PC's, probably by insisting that every mfr. adhere strictly to its guidelines. Google, by contrast, must be very weak-kneed in caving to the special requests of individual mfrs. If I am right, this is a huge corporate mistake.

Google fell into the trap of licensing it without charge hoping to make up the gap with targeted ads. They aren't selling an OS, so the pressure isn't as high to observe consistencies. Maybe they are learning a little now, since they have held back source code from time to time.

My own concern: under these conditions, it must be frustrating/discouraging/offputting for developers to write apps that will run reliably under all variations of Android. How did this situation come about? MS, after all, has always put out an OS that runs successfully on a huge variety of PC's, probably by insisting that every mfr. adhere strictly to its guidelines. Google, by contrast, must be very weak-kneed in caving to the special requests of individual mfrs. If I am right, this is a huge corporate mistake.

You would think that Google could have seen this coming. Microsoft released Windows Mobile 6.5 and earlier with no requirements that manufactures produce updates. Users where luck to get one update and that usualy only happend if there devices where released near the time of the new version.

When Redhat sells there flavor of Linux, Customers are buying not just support but protection. Redhat's patent profolio protects the customers from lawsuits. Even when a Redhat client is suied directly, Redhat takes up the case. And no the suits are not always Microsoft infact Redhat has filed briefs on behalf of MS and visa versa. Google's reasons for providing releasing Android for free is in part that Google would have to pay royalties on the technology used in the OS or protect there offering with patents. Patents they may not have enough of even after aquiring Motarola's Patent profolio. This is why they cant yet take full control of android and make manufactures update there devices.

Supposedly, when Windows Phone 8 comes out, you won't be able to update older gear with the new OS. Imagine all the money AT&T is squandering to push the Lumia 900, and it will be a dead end when it comes to supporting a new system.

Back