Segway CTO joins Apple? Segway Air coming soon?

What 's next from Apple w/Segway's CTO coming onboard?

• Apple Segway Air! That's it! Briefcase transportation akin to George Jetson!

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Apple Segway Mini! That's it! Hard to ride but not as bad as the Nano!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Apple Segway Nano! that's it! Kinda hard to ride but cool!

• Apple Segway Pro w/Quad-16 core powered by something?!

• Drive it with your iPhone/iPod Touch via the accelerometer!

• Multitouch gesture control for crazy stunts!

• Remote control w/iPhone iPod Touch! Give your friends, family or enemies a wild ride!

• Nothing really amazing will happen, yawn!

• Total voters

unclemac

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm, I don't know what to make of it but if Apple could perfect a Segway-ish personal transportation device priced to the masses that would rock! :D Oh, and it'd have to be stylish too! Hmm, could the iPod Touch or iPhone be used to control it?
From MacWorld: "In an unexpected twist, Segway chief technology officer, Doug Field, has been hired away from the company to join Apple as vice president of product design. A note on the Segway forums reads: "Doug has been the driving force in making the Segway what it is today and will be sorely missed at the company. However, with every change comes good and bad. So while it's bad the rich history and experience of Doug is leaving, it's good in that perhaps the team will get a fresh perspective into possible engineering solutions for future versions of the Segway (or Segway-like applications). And hey, what can be better than a gig at Apple? These days, in the design and engineering world, not much!! We wish Doug all the luck in moving on!! As noted by EnGadget, Apple CEO Steve Jobs has met Field before, telling the designed on Segway: "I think it sucks. Its shape is not innovative, it's not elegant, and it doesn't feel anthropomorphic."
More here: http://www.macworld.co.uk/business/news/index.cfm?newsid=21912

Strange how Apple will criticize something one day, then, the next, embrace the concept.

So does Field have design chops or not? I suppose he did, for after all Apple wouldn't hire him, right?

Strange how Apple will criticize something one day, then, the next, embrace the concept.

So does Field have design chops or not? I suppose he did, for after all Apple wouldn't hire him, right?

As far as I can tell he's more than qualified for sure and probably has a design portfolio to back it up. :D

Back