Should Apple revive the 17" MacBook Pro?

Ivan Marshall

Technology Novice
Do Mac-user still want a Desktop replacement Laptop? If Apple still offered it,I believe it would sell. It would be a Halo device,like a S-Class Benz7-Series BMW,Corvette,or just to keep up with thew 17" HP/DCell/or Sony Pro Laptops. I love my 17" MacBook Pro. Its Screen Real Estate is Superb,Clear,and is irreplaceable. The Creative Community,and the Pros that wanted and needed the Screen Real-Estate,were disregarded and abandoned. I don't understand why those that don't want or need the Screen or connectivity,complain about its 6.6 lbs.! If you don't need it,and have a lighter machine or multiple machines,why criticize those that DO NEED A LARGER LAPTOP??? Machines are meant for a certain type of Customer! Oh well, I hope that Apple will reward their Pros or Creative People with updates and keep them current. We don't expect them to be chart-leaders in Sales numbers.

Apple clearly didn't sell that many 17-inch MacBook Pros. I'm sure they can be made slimmer, lighter now. But without the market or the compelling reason to try to find one, you won't see it.

I have a 2010 version myself. It has a 512GB SSD and 8GB of RAM. Works real well, and I'm not inclined to sell it real soon. But having a Retina display would be real nice.

While all PC sales are down across the Industry,Lenovo sells three times as many computers as Apple(12 Million compared to 4+ Million for Apple), and HP sells almost 3 times as many as Apple,and Dell sells twice as many! Apple sells more expensive computers than their competitors,but the PC competitors make 17" Laptops,15" Laptops,13" Laptops,think Laptops,and Tablets! You must make them, in order to sell them,and Apple has lagged behind their Rival Companies in updating their Computers with the latest Chips or updates period,when it comes to Mac Pro,Mac Mini,and MacBook Pro. Lenovo and HP were using Skylake processors,and providing more Ports along with CD/DVD drives on Laptops and Desktops than Apple has on its Computers, for the past few years,even though Apple makes the Lions-share of the Profits! How much more profitable could Apple be,if they covered the entire range of Computers,from Pro and mainstream Desktops,Thin all the way to Desktop replacement Laptops,along with tablets? Apple has left their Pro,Mainstream Desktop,and Laptop Customers in the dark as to when significant replacements are coming,or leave them completely deserted as in the case of the Mac Pro and Mac Mini. If you have a recent Mac or Apple Laptop,and your Mac runs well,what incentive or excitement do you have to look forward to? Again,nobody expects to sell as many 15-inch Laptops as you would 13-inchers or MacBook Airs. The new MacBook is underpowered compared to its competition,for example the GPU being used in the 15" MacBook Pro was so old,that Nvidia just stopped making it,while Apple was still selling the unit as a "New Model"! This is unacceptable from a Company with Apple's resources,while they turn their backs on the Customers who bought their products and provided that Giant Cash Cushion. I'm a Stockholder and Customer,since they were on the verge of going out of business,so I'm wondering where is the loyalty to your longest-tenured Customers? I bought two 17" MacBook Pro's,saving one for the Future,and I don't have a reason to upgrade! They are just taking everything away,in the interest of thinness!

Nothing in what you say mentions the market potential for a 17-inch notebook. There's no way to know that. Apple does not go for numbers or having huge unit sales. It's about meaningful sales, meaning quality products at a decent profit margin. It doesn't matter that HP or Lenovo sells more units. Apple actually earns a profit from Mac sales. The margins for HP are non-existent and have been ever since the days of Carly Fiona and the Compaq acquisition. In addition, anyone who knows Macs realizes that Apple doesn't sell on the basis of specs.

Besides, those multiple models offered by other manufacturers are almost impossible to follow and make sense of.

Back