Software issue - any ideas

podcurious1

Technology Fan
I thought I'd post this here to see what others think or recommend.

I have a Power PC Mac Mini. This machine I purchased 2 years ago at Best Buy. It is a very good computer for general business use.

My problem is I am at a crossroads. Before I purchased the Mac Mini, I had a PowerMac 7200/90 for 11 years. At that time, I purchased (and still own) PageMaker 6.0 and Illustrator 6.0. I obtained the InDesign CS PageMaker upgrade shortly after I purchased the Mac Mini. I never bothered to buy any upgrades for Illustrator.

Two days ago, I checked with Adobe to see if I can purchase the Adobe CS2 upgrade. Adobe informed me only people who have Illustrator Version 8 or higher can obtain the CS2 upgrade. My only other option is to purchase the full version of Adobe Illustrator CS 2. The cheapest price I saw was for $399.00

Part of me feel like this is just a waste of money, and I should just save for a future purchase of a new Imac, and Adobe Creative Suite 3. But even the standard version of CS3 is outrageously priced. So I don't know.

I tried Ebay, and almost won a bid for Illustrator CS for $50.00, but someone sniped it at the very last minute. Other attempts at purchasing older versions of Illustrator were: fruitless. Any suggestions?

podcurious said:
I thought I'd post this here to see what others think or recommend.

I have a Power PC Mac Mini. This machine I purchased 2 years ago at Best Buy. It is a very good computer for general business use.

My problem is I am at a crossroads. Before I purchased the Mac Mini, I had a PowerMac 7200/90 for 11 years. At that time, I purchased (and still own) PageMaker 6.0 and Illustrator 6.0. I obtained the InDesign CS PageMaker upgrade shortly after I purchased the Mac Mini. I never bothered to buy any upgrades for Illustrator.

Two days ago, I checked with Adobe to see if I can purchase the Adobe CS2 upgrade. Adobe informed me only people who have Illustrator Version 8 or higher can obtain the CS2 upgrade. My only other option is to purchase the full version of Adobe Illustrator CS 2. The cheapest price I saw was for $399.00

Part of me feel like this is just a waste of money, and I should just save for a future purchase of a new Imac, and Adobe Creative Suite 3. But even the standard version of CS3 is outrageously priced. So I don't know.

I tried Ebay, and almost won a bid for Illustrator CS for $50.00, but someone sniped it at the very last minute. Other attempts at purchasing older versions of Illustrator were: fruitless. Any suggestions?

I agree that Adobe's upgrade policies these days aren't pleasant, but you are going to have to pay those prices at some point in time. If you earn money from that software, it's a no-brainer. If you're a hobbyist, maybe you should just set the money aside and buy the newest version along with your Intel-based iMac.

Here is an update on my issue.

I finally won an auction for Adobe Illustrator 9. I sent a PayPal payment on July 8th, and as of yet, haven't heard from the seller. The pay out was minimal. Still, I hope this wasn't a "too good to be true" deal. The seller has a good rating with ebay, and PayPal says I'm covered under its protection plan for up to $200.00.

Why did I buy this version? My original intent was to use the serial number to upgrade to CS2.

That was before I read on Amazon that prior installation is also required. Upon further research, I found two listings on Amazon. One offering the full version of Adobe Illustrator CS2 at price of $350. The second listing offered the InDesign CS2 upgrade for $129. After ten minutes of intense thinking, I decided to buy both.

If you're thinking that's a lot for old software, you're right! Unfortunately, Adobe has done an about face regarding Power PC compatibility. You can't run CS3 apps on the Power PC, and it's very difficult finding any CS2 upgrade packages. I sympathize with users that still have Power PCs as Adobe has blown us off for greener pastures.

podcurious said:
Here is an update on my issue.

I finally won an auction for Adobe Illustrator 9. I sent a PayPal payment on July 8th, and as of yet, haven't heard from the seller. The pay out was minimal. Still, I hope this wasn't a "too good to be true" deal. The seller has a good rating with ebay, and PayPal says I'm covered under its protection plan for up to $200.00.

Why did I buy this version? My original intent was to use the serial number to upgrade to CS2.

That was before I read on Amazon that prior installation is also required. Upon further research, I found two listings on Amazon. One offering the full version of Adobe Illustrator CS2 at price of $350. The second listing offered the InDesign CS2 upgrade for $129. After ten minutes of intense thinking, I decided to buy both.

If you're thinking that's a lot for old software, you're right! Unfortunately, Adobe has done an about face regarding Power PC compatibility. You can't run CS3 apps on the Power PC, and it's very difficult finding any CS2 upgrade packages. I sympathize with users that still have Power PCs as Adobe has blown us off for greener pastures.

Actually, most do still run on the PowerPC. But you see the handwriting on the wall. The new Mac version of Premiere and their new sound editing operation are specific to Intel-based Macs and Windows.

That's a trend, alas, that's going to continue. More and more software will gradually leave the PowerPC platform as Intel-based Macs become more ubiquitous.

Back