Switching to Mac using an iMAC G5 ... a bit noisy

HerbVista

Technology Novice
While waiting for the new Mac Mini and iMac to arrive, I was fortunate to acquire a 1.6 Ghz iMac G5 with Panther.

Noticed that I needed to update to Leopard to run new Firefox 3.x and NYTimes reader for example.

So, using some spare DRR-400 memory DIMMs, I boosted the memory to 2 GB and purchased Leopard 10.5.6. As hoped the new FireFox and NYTimes Reader an the new iTunes all loaded and ran well.

However, seems the FireFox 3.0.x and occasionally the NYTimes Beta Reader will cause the CPU to run near 100% on the iMac G5. Unfortunately, the high CPU usage seems to cause one of the fans to become very noisy until the CPU load diminishes. Didn't notice this when running Panther and the old FireFox.

Was wondering if high fan noise was typical of 1.6 GHz iMACs or did upgrade to Leopard adversely affect fan speed control ?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Herb Stein
Stamford, CT

While waiting for the new Mac Mini and iMac to arrive, I was fortunate to acquire a 1.6 Ghz iMac G5 with Panther.

Noticed that I needed to update to Leopard to run new Firefox 3.x and NYTimes reader for example.

So, using some spare DRR-400 memory DIMMs, I boosted the memory to 2 GB and purchased Leopard 10.5.6. As hoped the new FireFox and NYTimes Reader an the new iTunes all loaded and ran well.

However, seems the FireFox 3.0.x and occasionally the NYTimes Beta Reader will cause the CPU to run near 100% on the iMac G5. Unfortunately, the high CPU usage seems to cause one of the fans to become very noisy until the CPU load diminishes. Didn't notice this when running Panther and the old FireFox.

Was wondering if high fan noise was typical of 1.6 GHz iMACs or did upgrade to Leopard adversely affect fan speed control ?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Herb Stein
Stamford, CT
While it may not seem so, the basic Mac mini is actually far more powerful than your G5. Also, Leopard works better on Intel-based Macs. Just wanted to bring that to your attention.

I will considering the new Mini basic + plus some memory.

Thanks for the information.

Back