The new line of Macbooks

bcallahan08

Technology Novice
Apple recently held it's notebook event where it released newly redesgined Macbooks and Macbook Pros. What do you think of them, and if you already own one of these new products, how are you liking it?

Apple recently held it's notebook event where it released newly redesgined Macbooks and Macbook Pros. What do you think of them, and if you already own one of these new products, how are you liking it?
I'm sure only a small number have them, but my surface opinion is they look great, and it was a smart way to deliver a model refresh when faster processors weren't actually available. :)

I'm hoping to get a new Macbook or Macbook Pro sometime next week, but I'm not sure which one to get. Before the new Macbooks were revealed, I was sure I would get the Pro version(because of the aluminum), but now that the regular Macbook looks just like the Macbook Pro and has a lot of it's features, I'm unsure of which to get. The only things making me lean towards the Pro is that I think the pro would have better speakers, and because I've heard that the pro's screen is better quality. Can anybody confirm these things?

I'm hoping to get a new Macbook or Macbook Pro sometime next week, but I'm not sure which one to get. Before the new Macbooks were revealed, I was sure I would get the Pro version(because of the aluminum), but now that the regular Macbook looks just like the Macbook Pro and has a lot of it's features, I'm unsure of which to get. The only things making me lean towards the Pro is that I think the pro would have better speakers, and because I've heard that the pro's screen is better quality. Can anybody confirm these things?
The Pro's screen is larger. But actual picture quality ought to be similar.

It has FireWire, which the MacBook doesn't have.

It has two graphic chips, which you can select via the Energy Saver preference panel (it requires logging out and logging in again). This will benefit you if you're into heavy game-play. Otherwise, no.

Not sure about the speakers. Go to an Apple Store and see. But that shouldn't be a significant factor, since any external speakers you can buy would sound much, much better.

Would anyone happen to know how the viewing angles of the macbook and macbook pro screen's compare?
Apple doesn't list the specs, and most times they are fantasies anyway. Best thing to do is go to a store where they are on display and determine for yourself if there are differences, significant or otherwise.

I wish I could go to a store where Macbooks are on display, but there aren't any around where I live. If someone else could do this or already has, could you please tell me what the viewing angles are like, thanks!:)

I wish I could go to a store where Macbooks are on display, but there aren't any around where I live. If someone else could do this or already has, could you please tell me what the viewing angles are like, thanks!:)
There's a third-party Mac store in the neighborhood. I'll try to stop by in the next few days and check it out. There's also a Best Buy with a fairly large Apple section I can check out.

I found reviews of the laptops on laptopmag.com. They said that the Macbook Pro's screen has slightly richer colors and deeper blacks, and that the viewing angle was much better than the regular Macbook. They also said that the Pro had much louder and richer speakers. Because of these things, I've decided to get the Pro rather than the regular Macbook, although the second graphics card and bigger screen are also reasons I prefer it.

I found reviews of the laptops on laptopmag.com. They said that the Macbook Pro's screen has slightly richer colors and deeper blacks, and that the viewing angle was much better than the regular Macbook. They also said that the Pro had much louder and richer speakers. Because of these things, I've decided to get the Pro rather than the regular Macbook, although the second graphics card and bigger screen are also reasons I prefer it.
Now if there was only a 17-inch version of the new form factor. :)

There are rumors circulating that they might release a 17-inch version at Macworld in January. Personally, I would still prefer the 15-inch.
Well, a little informed speculation too. The 17-inch almost always comes out somewhat later. That's my preference, but having bought one earlier this year, I won't have an intensive to upgrade until 2010. :)

Well, a little informed speculation too. The 17-inch almost always comes out somewhat later. That's my preference, but having bought one earlier this year, I won't have an intensive to upgrade until 2010. :)

Unfortunately, the video of Apple's unveiling of the new MacBooks didn't include the Q&A session after the main event was over and I found this live blog archive posted at engadget:
10:57AM Q: What's up with the 17-inch?
A: Tim: It's being refreshed today as well.
I'm guessing it'll be out for MacWorld 2K9 if not sooner. :D
For the rest of the Q&A head on over to:
http://www.engadget.com/2008/10/14/live-from-apples-spotlight-turns-to-notebooks-event/

Unfortunately, the video of Apple's unveiling of the new MacBooks didn't include the Q&A session after the main event was over and I found this live blog archive posted at engadget:
10:57AM Q: What's up with the 17-inch?
A: Tim: It's being refreshed today as well.
I'm guessing it'll be out for MacWorld 2K9 if not sooner. :D
For the rest of the Q&A head on over to:
http://www.engadget.com/2008/10/14/live-from-apples-spotlight-turns-to-notebooks-event/
Yes, I would expect an Early 2009 revision to the 17-inch model. But it's not enough incentive for me to buy early on. I'll probably wait for a Late 2009 or Early 2010 introduction. :)

Yes, I would expect an Early 2009 revision to the 17-inch model. But it's not enough incentive for me to buy early on. I'll probably wait for a Late 2009 or Early 2010 introduction. :)

Hopefully, we'll see the Quad Cores/Nehalem/Core i7 CPUs or whatever they decide to call it across the line in the MacBooks & MBPros and maybe in the iMacs. For the Pros and Prosumers maybe they'll issue a 12-14" MacBook with FireWire 800, a Quad Core CPU, dual video cards or at least a dedicated one.
If they don't release the Mac Mini Pro or the "Missing Mac" I might would settle for a reasonably priced 27-30" iMac if it was a Quad Core and possibly had a better than good optional video card or the dual GPU setup. :D
As it stands now, I might upgrade my iMac to a Core 2 Duo from a Core Duo and possibly a larger hard drive and with the new CPU it will take and support 4GB of Ram. Not sure yet since I've got till the middle of next year on my Apple Care warranty.

Back