Vonage & Linksys: ERRRRR!

podcurious1

Technology Fan
I left a posting before about Vonage. After my recent headache I may take your advice and dump the company altogether!

No problem with the phone service. However, during the last two weeks, I noticed the internet being much slower. I conducted tests to show my download speed was at 200-500 kbs (about half of DSL!). Wiressless was fine.

I contacted my provider, and he discovered that the Linksys router was the culprit. After contacting Vonage, I was told that the company automatically does firmware updates to all the third-party routers it provides. The update for my router is causing problems, and other people are experiencing the same issue. The only info that Linksys will provide is that the firmware is in the "testing phase". Vonage recommended either to get a new router or wait it out. I questioned Vonage about getting a new router because I believe this will occur again if the firmware is updated.

After the speed got slower, I bit the bullet and bought a new router. I spent close to two hours resetting modems, submitting rebate forms, contacting Vonage for reactivation, and calling my cable company to reset the modem. What gets me is I didn't do anything to cause this problem originally. On top of that, Vonage is not offering credit for the new router.

I understand that it's not Vonage's fault; that Linksys provided faulty software. Still it would be nice if Vonage stepped up to the plate and provided a refund.

The short answer is that you shouldn't use a VOIP's router for your primary connection. Instead, use a standard router, such as an Apple AirPort Extreme, and put the VOIP router behind it, using DMZ or port forwarding to open a port for it.

The Vontage router, as with other products of this sort, gives priority to voice connections, not to your regular Internet connections.

I wanted to update you on this: Vonage is apparently using a new router with their own label on it. Upon restoring service with Vonage, I put the new router behind my AirPort Extreme and it self-configured. There was no impairment in Internet speeds and no problem with making and receiving phone calls.

So evidently they have resolved the most pressing issues by not using simple modified off-the-shelf routers.

Back