Word & Excel macro viruses

P

Paul

On last nights show (May 4th) about a half hour in the first guest said that "there are word or exel macro viruses that can screw up your word and excel programs on your mac". Can someone elaborate on this? Is it highly probable of happening? If it did occur would a simple reinstall fix things? I am a freelance graphic designer and my clients send me all the body copy for the various designs I do for them as word files. I do not run any virus software on my mac ever since "virex" became obsolete when I upgraded to Tiger.

Any input on this would be appreciated :)

Paul

Paul said:
On last nights show (May 4th) about a half hour in the first guest said that "there are word or exel macro viruses that can screw up your word and exel programs on your mac". Can someone elaborate on this? Is it highly probable of happening? If it did occur would a simple reinstall fix things? I am a freelance graphic designer and my clients send me all the body copy for the various designs I do for them as word files. I do not run any virus software on my mac ever since "virex" became obsolete when I upgraded to Tiger.

Any input on this would be appreciated :)

Paul
Sorry this never got answered. In any case, the major symptom would affect your Office templates. One problem would make a new document impossible to save. A full reinstallation of Office should fix should issues, but if you handle lots of cross-platform documents, maybe you want to give one of the Tiger-compatible virus applications a try, such as Intego's VirusBarrier and Symantec's Norton Anti-Virus. Both are said to be Universal so they run on both PowerPC and Intel-based Macs natively.

Back