Yosemite

According to published reports OS X Yosemite will run on the same Macs as OS X Mountain Lion and OS X Mavericks. This covers models from four to six years old. One hopes performance will be acceptable on the older Macs. We'll see.

According to published reports OS X Yosemite will run on the same Macs as OS X Mountain Lion and OS X Mavericks. This covers models from four to six years old. One hopes performance will be acceptable on the older Macs. We'll see.

I'm still using OS 10.8.5
If I download the free Yosemite 10.10.3 with the new Photos app what problems can I expect to encounter during updating?
I realize too that some of the apps I use now will no longer work under Yosemite.
Also, iPhoto is still at 8.1.2, is this going to function without problems under OS 10.10.3?
I searched for "iPhoto" on the app store and did not find the app.
I expected to see iPhoto 11.
Will I not be able to update iPhoto now?
I get it that "Photos" and "iPhoto" are not the same.

The new Photos app is no longer iPhoto. It's a brand new app that contains most of the features of the older app, and distills some from Aperture, but not the power user capabilities.

In order to get Photos it has to be with Yosemite 10.10.3.

You shouldn't have a problem updating. The problem will only impact apps that aren't compatible with Yosemite, and I can't list those here (best to just check Apple's discussion forums).

What appears to be the case is that the latest Yosemite update fixes loads of issues that caused trouble for users who went to 10.10. If you want to be cautious, just wait a few days and see if there are reports of any serious problems. There will always be something, but my Yosemite experience, particularly with 10.10.3 and Photos, has been great.

I can't tell you whether iPhoto will ever be updated again. Perhaps for bug fixes.

Thanks for the reply.

I hadn't realized that iPhoto was phased out.
What will happen to my iPhoto library (iPhoto 8.1.2) if I hit the update button for Yosemite 10.10.3 from Mountain Lion 10.8.5?
Will the library automatically load into the new "Photos"?
Sorry about all the questions and the anxiety about updating but I'm not a computer techie.

Back