Your printer problem

FurryOne

Technology Novice
Gene, it sounds to me like your new house was wired by a contractor that wanted to cheap out by using a GFI breaker to handle multiple outlets down the line. If you have a GFI breaker, what you'll need to do is to identify ALL outlets serviced by that breaker. Then identify which ones actually require a GFI (bathrooms, outside outlets, garage outlets), and those that don't. Next, is the circuit really 20A? If so, buy a regular (non-GFI) 20A breaker for your service panel (to replace the GFI breaker), and 20a GFI outlets for each location requiring one. (Best to have a friend that's an electrician, or familiar with house wiring do the installs.) The result will be the same for the GFI locations, but your printer will have a non-GFI power feed and should stop tripping the circuit!

Hi,

The lines serviced by the GCI breaker include a bathroom.

And I'm a renter so I have fewer options. But I'll ask the property manager's repair person and see what he says.

Hi,
The lines serviced by the GCI breaker include a bathroom.
And I'm a renter so I have fewer options. But I'll ask the property manager's repair person and see what he says.

I hope he understands your problem. He might be more amenable if you pay for the upgrade, but it would be probably worth it!

Let me give you an update.

Samsung sent a new printer, the HL-L5100DN. It's a 2016 version of the original 2012 HL-5450DN. Specs are similar, but the new model has a sleeker case, sort of, with an LCD status display. It's also quieter.

But it still tripped the breaker until I disconnected the Bose computer speaker system (which has an Acoustimass woofer, a big current draw).

I tried something new as an experiment: Since I had an old APC backup system, with surge protector, I plugged the power strip into the APC. I turned on the Bose speaker system, which is attached to a separate surge protector.

Although the backup battery no longer charges, the printer worked, though it triggered the APC's overload indicator which beeps with loads of over 12 amps.

But it never tripped the breaker.

So I set up a regular APC surge protector which also has an overload light. The double setup (power strip plus APC surge protector) appears to be functional. Yes, when the printer powers up, it triggers the protector's amber light that briefly indicates over 12 amps is being drained. So far it's worked a day without blowing the breaker.

If this solution works, great. If not, I suppose I can buy a battery pack for the other APC system and set it up properly.

Back