3D For the Masses

Would You Buy a 3D TV?

• Total voters

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
In the wake of the incredible success of James Cameron's 3D science fiction movie, "Avatar," the consumer electronics and entertainment industries are busy devising schemes to get you to buy 3D TVs and Blu-ray decks.

Should we let them, or are there better things to do with your money.

We want to know.

Not when you have a handful of films a year. Most people aren't going to pay upwards of $1,000 extra for a TV set whose key feature will rarely be used. It may come, but not for a few years.

Not when you have a handful of films a year. Most people aren't going to pay upwards of $1,000 extra for a TV set whose key feature will rarely be used. It may come, but not for a few years.

If there be greed, the consumer electronics industry knows how to play the game near as well as their Hollywood counterparts. And, of course, Sony owns some of those Hollywood properties. :)

I think I will wait for 3D to become a standard. Right now if I have a Sony 3D TV and bought 2 pairs of 3D glasses but then I was invited to my brother's place where he had 2 pairs of glasses for his Panasonic 3D TV. Then my glasses will not work on his 3D TV. This is because of the different glasses fir each TV company and no glasses can go outside that particular manufacture's TV line. Plus there is no guarantee that 3D glasses today will work on TVs 10 years from now.

To me this 3D TV thing is right now just a great big scam to keep people locked into a particular brand. The earlier adopters will just get bitten like people did with HDTV.

I think I will wait for 3D to become a standard. Right now if I have a Sony 3D TV and bought 2 pairs of 3D glasses but then I was invited to my brother's place where he had 2 pairs of glasses for his Panasonic 3D TV. Then my glasses will not work on his 3D TV. This is because of the different glasses fir each TV company and no glasses can go outside that particular manufacture's TV line. Plus there is no guarantee that 3D glasses today will work on TVs 10 years from now.

To me this 3D TV thing is right now just a great big scam to keep people locked into a particular brand. The earlier adopters will just get bitten like people did with HDTV.

The success of "Avatar" blinded them. They are clearly wearing the wrong kinds of glasses. I just don't understand why someone would spend a grand or two extra on a new TV just to see half a dozen films or TV sporting events in 3D. But then if I had a few million to spare, maybe it wouldn't matter, which is what the consumer electronics industry is counting on. If enough people buy the sets, the content creators will make more Blu-ray 3D DVDs and thus we'll go full circle.

Or maybe I'm all wrong about this, but I don't think so.

No Gene I don't think you are wrong. You are right on the money.

As I sit here over a year later, I still see no evidence that 3D TV is going anywhere anytime soon. Even 3D movies didn't do so well, with a few exceptions, this past summer.

After watching some movies in 3D in cinema, I doubt I'd but a 3d TV now... Yes, the Avatar and Alice in Wonderland looked great in 3d, but your eyes really feel tired too quickly watching 3d...

Back