Dell's display at Staples - not so good

podcurious1

Technology Fan
Tonight I was at my local Staples, and I checked out the Dell systems being sold.

There were only two laptops, a desktop with a widescreen display, a color laser printer, and a photo inkjet printer...that's it.

The two laptops had glossy displays that were too dim; reading text on them was almost impossible. Neither myself, or the Staples guy, could figure out how to fix the problem.

I then checked out the desktop model. In this case, the display had washed-out colors, and the system was slow.

I was surprised about the poor quality of the displays, since I know you've praised Dell monitors on your show.

I thought the color laser printer looked more impressive. But because it was crammed under the laptop display, I couldn't test it out.

If this is how Dell expects to sell computers, maybe the company should rethink it's strategy. It only convinces more that I'd be better off with a Macbook.

podcurious said:
Tonight I was at my local Staples, and I checked out the Dell systems being sold.

There were only two laptops, a desktop with a widescreen display, a color laser printer, and a photo inkjet printer...that's it.

The two laptops had glossy displays that were too dim; reading text on them was almost impossible. Neither myself, or the Staples guy, could figure out how to fix the problem.

I then checked out the desktop model. In this case, the display had washed-out colors, and the system was slow.

I was surprised about the poor quality of the displays, since I know you've praised Dell monitors on your show.

I thought the color laser printer looked more impressive. But because it was crammed under the laptop display, I couldn't test it out.

If this is how Dell expects to sell computers, maybe the company should rethink it's strategy. It only convinces more that I'd be better off with a Macbook.

No doubt those displays are entry-level and probably not configured properly. There are lots of extra options for Windows users, which only serves to confuse people. The two Dell LCDs I've used were connected via the DVI ports, something those entry level computers and displays may not even support.

The printers are, as I recall, rebadged Lexmarks, which means they are good, but hardly unique.

Back