Ed Hamrick of VueScan fame as a future guest?

VueScan's creator & Gene hookup for an interview?

• Yeah, that'd be cool!

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Meh, it's an ok idea yes or no. :-

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • |Buuzz! Try again! No way!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

unclemac

Administrator
Staff member
His scanning program, VueScan, is highly respected worldwide, amazing, powerful and inexpensive! A great story in itself and I think he would be a wonderful and very fascinating future guest on The Tech Night Owl Live. He's constantly hard at work updating VueScan and is now supporting Multi-Core & Multi-Processor systems to improve the speed of scans by 50%! Yep, it's for Mac OS X, Windows & Linux. Back in 2005, he incorporated Optical Character Recognition (OCR) capability that enables users to scan and process text as well as scan graphics within one application. The standard edition is only $39.95 with free upgrades for 1 full year and the Professional version is only $79.99 with free lifetime upgrades! Single-user licenses may be used by one person on four computers or multiple people on one computer. If you buy a new scanner in the future, you can use VueScan with it for no extra charge and you won't need to use a new program with your new scanner. Oh, and if you didn't know it supports 750 scanners! It's almost like a swiss army knife of scanning software. :D BTW another interesting tidbit: Hamrick Software was founded in Phoenix, Arizona in 1991 by Ed Hamrick. Hmm, I wonder if he's near Gene? ;)
If Mr. Hamrick has been on the show before I'm sorry if I missed his spot but if not then what the heck I think he'd enjoy it & so would we. :)
Here's a link to his site and an interview: http://www.hamrick.com/index.html http://www.hamrick.com/files/qanda.pdf

I think that the idea of having Ed Hamrick is a great one, VueScan is one of those essential programs that any scanner owner should own. You could spend hundreds on alternatives and get stuck in an upgrade scam (Silver, Laser, jeez, there are words swirling through my mind), or spend the $80 and be done, regardless of computing platform or scanner. Here's another vote for Ed!

dB

David Biedny said:
I think that the idea of having Ed Hamrick is a great one, VueScan is one of those essential programs that any scanner owner should own. You could spend hundreds on alternatives and get stuck in an upgrade scam (Silver, Laser, jeez, there are words swirling through my mind), or spend the $80 and be done, regardless of computing platform or scanner. Here's another vote for Ed!

dB

I'll go after him, David. :D

I contacted him a few weeks ago and I know he IS the company and he IS the tech support for it all from what he mentioned on his website. So I know he's a very busy man. I need to try again unless Gene had any luck but either way I can take another shot. :)

Thanks for the vote David! I've read as much as I could about him and he seems like a very interesting guy. Ed's right, the pack-in software is horrible and often outdated and non-upgradeable that comes with most, if not all scanners. From what I recall that's what got him started, he hated the included drivers and programs so he figured when they can't get it right, do it yourself! Ha-Ha! Love it! :D

I would like to suggest he add support for networked scanners if I recall correctly they're either not supported or not all of them. A great friend of mine would love to try it at work but he needs the network support at his place of work a BluePrint and Graphics company. Bummer really, since he has an old slide scanner that was listed as a supported device.

I hope he can get on the show soon and if you have time David maybe you can drop in on that one and ask a few more technical questions that you may have or pass them along to Gene.

I had to invite him 3 times but maybe his spam filter stopped the 1st two? I used my old .mac account and he took a look at it and fired right back today!
I suppose it's now up to Gene and Ed to setup a time and a future episode to get him onboard.
I hope that David can stop in on that one since I believe those two can spice it up a little bit since David is the artist that uses VueScan and Ed created it and of course uses it! LOL :D

Any luck on scheduling a date for Mr. Ed Hamrick to appear? :D

Already done. :D

dB

FYI as of 12.09.2K8 VueScan is now 10 years old and in celebration he's giving a free upgrade to the latest version 8.5 for ALL previous owners! Cool! :D
http://www.hamrick.com/vsm.html#anniversary
BTW Has Ed replied to Gil?

Back