Looking for unlimited bandwidth hosting

I'll assume your request is genuine, though you posted it originally in the wrong place.

I don't know anything about Chime Host, but remember review sites are usually just portals for ads. They aren't reviewing anything, just pimping the places that'll give them affiliate fees.

Now first and foremost, all those "unlimited" offers are hype. Hosts oversell their cheap packages, realizing that only a fraction of a percent will ever use a lot of bandwidth and storage. For those, they cap server resources, so a RAM/processor hungry app such as WordPress or even the vBulletin forum software we use here will cause them to throttle or suspend your site if you get too popular. That's how this works.

Since we're talking of a few dollars a month for a cheap hosting package, it doesn't matter that they want it up front. Any honest company will refund your money if you're not satisfied. So here are my favorites:

1. Namecheap: We have a dedicated server with them since early September 2009. We've had high availability and great performance. Their online offerings, though, are largely shared and VPS (a combination with the tools of dedicated on a shared server). They are busy rolling out a full dedicated server package, so you'll be able to soon get what we get. They are, by the way, a terrific domain registrar.

2. 1 and 1 Internet: They are one of the largest in the world, owned by a German-based publicly-traded corporation. They offer discounts, usually 50%, for the first six months for all but the cheapest shared package. Everything is housed in robust and green-friendly datacenters, and they provide huge packages of features with extremely good performance. I've used them in the past. They are also a major domain registrar.

3. HostiCan: A small Virginia-based company that is busy expanding its offerings and moving the full operation into their own datacenter. Our backup server has been provided by HostICan for several years. I know the owners and they are great people.

4. HostGator: I use their sister service, Residential VoIP and VoIP Reseller Program - VOIPo, an Internet telephone company that offers some of the best deals and service quality in the business. HostGator mostly specializes in shared and reseller hosting; the latter is for Web developers who want to host the sites run by their clients. Customer service and uptime are great and, yes, I know the owner of this fast-growing company.

Based on past experience, under no circumstances would I use Domain Names, Web Hosting and SSL Certificates - Go Daddy. They are a bait and switch operation, offering a cheap price, but if you want needed services that other hosts offer free, you pay extra for them. It doesn't matter that they use pretty female race car drivers and models in their ads. It's all about the products and services, and there they often come up short.

Note: I am reposting this in the other forum in which you made your request.

Hey Gene,
I noticed that you stay away from GoDaddy at all costs. I use them and so far am happy with the service they provide. Is there something I should know or something I should watch out for?

Hey Gene,
I noticed that you stay away from GoDaddy at all costs. I use them and so far am happy with the service they provide. Is there something I should know or something I should watch out for?

1. Dangerous policy about alleged spam. At a time when they registered our domains but not our sites or email, someone sent them a bogus complaint. Rather than just deal with that single complaint, they went on to threaten to freeze our domain and demand a $150 ransom to release it, or $75 to let us transfer it from their company. They didn't follow through with the threat, but I moved all our remaining services from them within the next week.

2. Bait and switch. Services offered as standard with most other companies, such as email forwards, are extra cost packages with GoDaddy. They get you with a cheap price for the basic package and everything else is extra. There are lots of other companies out there that give you better packages for less money.

Thanks for the quick reply...after my domains get closer to expiring, I will move to one of you recommended hosts....

Back