Modems

skiziks

Technology Fan
15" iMac flat panel
800 MHz PPC G4
768 MB SDRAM
Comcast ISP

Would swapping a 6 year old Linksys BECFMU10 with a Motorola SB5120 provide any performance improvements whatsoever?

Or is this the best I can expect with the computer that I have?
2.7megabits per second
329.25kilobytes per second

15" iMac flat panel
800 MHz PPC G4
768 MB SDRAM
Comcast ISP

Would swapping a 6 year old Linksys BECFMU10 with a Motorola SB5120 provide any performance improvements whatsoever?

Or is this the best I can expect with the computer that I have?
2.7megabits per second
329.25kilobytes per second
Your iMac can certainly receive faster performance, but that depends on what Comcast is offering. The newer cable modems can deliver faster throughput. You should ask them what they recommend. I would also suggest you get more RAM for your iMac regardless. You're at the bottom of the scale there, and you'll get faster performance.

Also watch Apple's offerings this fall, for you may find some great buys on a new Mac. :)

Thanks for the reply.

I believe that this 15" iMac is at it's maximum memory.

The 9-year-old grandson is even after me to upgrade to a new computer, but Grandma doesn't agree.

And other than it's slowness and not being able to upgrade to Leopard because of it's 800 MHz processor it's been a good machine for the past 6 years.

When I upgrade the modem, do I connect it up and then call Comcast with the address or let them know the address beforehand because I found that nothing happens automatically?

Sorry for being so unfamiliar with the mechanics and details of upgrading the modem.

Thanks for the reply.

I believe that this 15" iMac is at it's maximum memory.

The 9-year-old grandson is even after me to upgrade to a new computer, but Grandma doesn't agree.

And other than it's slowness and not being able to upgrade to Leopard because of it's 800 MHz processor it's been a good machine for the past 6 years.

When I upgrade the modem, do I connect it up and then call Comcast with the address or let them know the address beforehand because I found that nothing happens automatically?

Sorry for being so unfamiliar with the mechanics and details of upgrading the modem.
OK, I would double check with Comcast that the cable modem you want is indeed the best one for their service. Once you hook it up, it has to be provisioned at their tech center, so you would have to give the serial number and the MAC address (the network address and not something about Macs).

Yes, you can add memory to your iMac, by replacing one of the chips with a larger one.

Check www.macsales.com, one of our sponsors, for pricing and choices.

Thanks, I will just have to contact Comcast as you suggested and ask for their recommendations for modems.

Checked on the link you provided for memory:

It said to "max out your iMac G4/700 & 800MHz" with:

"512MB PC133 CL3/PC100 CL2 SO-DIMM for iMac G4/700-800MHz"

And this was their only offering for the G4/700 & 800MHz iMac.

This I did soon after I purchased this iMac 6 years ago.
That's how I ended up with 768, the 256 original memory and the 512 I added.
I am not qualified to dig into the dome to replace the factory installed 256.

Maybe by the time Apple offers that mini tower you are always writing and wishing for, I will have Grandma's permission to finally get a new computer with some speed.

Thanks for your patience and advice.

I appreciate your predicament. You don't want to dig into the dome. At this point, it's better for you to persuade your grandmother that a new Mac is a near-immediate need. :)

Back