Most loved Apple Mac...and most hated!

J

Jose Collado

Everyone must have a model that appealed to them in some way...be it for any reason at all. I'm sure there's a model that had your grinding your teeth also. Would love to know what these were and why.

My most loved Mac - My trusty old Powermac 9100. 4 Gig HDD, 40Mbf RAM. Was a step up from my LC475 with 250Mb HDD, 8Mb RAM and the speed difference was something I'll never forget. Sold my car to buy the Mac for College to the dismay of all my friends and family. A positive step forward thats for sure! Thats where I learned to pull those suckers to pieces...poor, starving College kids tend to do their own IT work.

My most hated Mac - Performa 5200. Oh god...the Performa range. Dubbed underPerforma for a very good reason. Sold my 9100 and got the new all in one Performa when money was tight for school and regretted every second of it. It was utter crap. I hated the entire Performa range out of spite...but I do think the black Directors Mac was pretty cool. I was bitter mine didn't have the TV card because I didn't have a TV at the time. I was bitter that I maxed out the RAM early but god bless Ram Doubler and the Not Virtual extension combo!

Jose Collado said:
Everyone must have a model that appealed to them in some way...be it for any reason at all. I'm sure there's a model that had your grinding your teeth also. Would love to know what these were and why.

My most loved Mac - My trusty old Powermac 9100. 4 Gig HDD, 40Mbf RAM. Was a step up from my LC475 with 250Mb HDD, 8Mb RAM and the speed difference was something I'll never forget. Sold my car to buy the Mac for College to the dismay of all my friends and family. A positive step forward thats for sure! Thats where I learned to pull those suckers to pieces...poor, starving College kids tend to do their own IT work.

My most hated Mac - Performa 5200. Oh god...the Performa range. Dubbed underPerforma for a very good reason. Sold my 9100 and got the new all in one Performa when money was tight for school and regretted every second of it. It was utter crap. I hated the entire Performa range out of spite...but I do think the black Directors Mac was pretty cool. I was bitter mine didn't have the TV card because I didn't have a TV at the time. I was bitter that I maxed out the RAM early but god bless Ram Doubler and the Not Virtual extension combo!

Ah yes, RamDoubler. I tend to like the Mac I'm using at the moment, as opposed to the ones I used to have. In retrospect, there are some I don't miss, such as the PowerBook 5300ce (I believe) and the Power Mac 9100, which was a bear to upgrade.

I never got into the laptops until it was necessary to own one. I've had to repair a few older models which was a learning experience to say the least. Then I opened an ice G3/500 iBook for a friend and swore I'd never do that again. I had a friend that scored the 5300 when it came out and that was pretty cool when I first used it but that was it for me...until the Wallstreet G3 that I had for work. Those things still fetch a fair price on Ebay.

The 9100 was my fave in a sense that I jumped from an LC model which I think had 33Mhz(?) so using the powerPC photoshop was an incentive. The speed difference was obvious and I absolutely hated no being able to run the PPC software that was becoming more frequent. Upgrades were out of the question due to $$ being an issue but we had a couple of dead 9100's at school that served as a donor for anything. Unfortunately, back in those days, even the smallest fault in a Mac would have administration wright them off because of the cost of repairs or simple lack of understanding the machine. Wasn't so unfortunate for me. I had a garage full of perfectly functional macs people wrote off.

I do have a pet hate for the beige G3's. Not so much the machines as I owned a 233 Desktop and the 300 Tower but the fact they had the whole jumper scam going on the motherboards. I remember paying $2300 for the 233 and then a good $3500 for the tower. I almost got myself the 266 when I found out about the jumpers and I really did kick myself for buying the tower.

As much as I love Apple...things like the jumpers on the beige G3 really made me wonder why they did it. Then there's some of their other products that have made me go "Huh? WHY?"

Since then I've rarely upgraded. No need to really...but the time is nigh! I'd love to move to a new G5 but I'll sit back and see how CS3 pans out on the intels.

Back