Possible new guest?

aaron

Technology Fan
Gene,

With Microsoft's Office:Mac no longer supporting VBA macros with the 2008 version creating quite stir in the Mac community, I found some software that will allow you to open your files with the macros in tact. Neo Office (based on OpenOffice.org) is mentioning that they will have support for VBA macros starting February 27. Their site is http://www.neooffice.org.

aaron said:
Gene,

With Microsoft's Office:Mac no longer supporting VBA macros with the 2008 version creating quite stir in the Mac community, I found some software that will allow you to open your files with the macros in tact. Neo Office (based on OpenOffice.org) is mentioning that they will have support for VBA macros starting February 27. Their site is http://www.neooffice.org.

That's good to know. I also plan to talk to Microsoft's Mac Business Unit further about this just in case they have some other solutions in the works.

Yes, we'd consider doing a show about Neo Office at some time in the future.

Gene Steinberg said:
aaron said:
Gene,

That's good to know. I also plan to talk to Microsoft's Mac Business Unit further about this just in case they have some other solutions in the works.

I wanted to update everyone.

We have Microsoft scheduled to appear on The Tech Night Owl LIVE on our February 8th show.

We'll feature information on the 10th anniversary of the Mac Business Unit and an update on Office 2008 for the Mac. I can't promise there will be answers about VBA, but at least I'll get to ask the question.

Gene Steinberg said:
Gene Steinberg said:
aaron said:
Gene,

We have Microsoft scheduled to appear on The Tech Night Owl LIVE on our February 8th show.

We'll feature information on the 10th anniversary of the Mac Business Unit and an update on Office 2008 for the Mac. I can't promise there will be answers about VBA, but at least I'll get to ask the question.
And that's all we can ask (pun intended). Thanks Gene for keeping up with this important topic.

aaron said:
Gene Steinberg said:
Gene Steinberg said:
aaron said:
Gene,

And that's all we can ask (pun intended). Thanks Gene for keeping up with this important topic.

In the end, as I expected, Microsoft had nothing illuminating to say about Visual Basic, except to repeat its previous talking points. I expect we'll have to come closer to the actual release before there's any meaningful response on this topic, but we'll keep trying.

Gene Steinberg said:
In the end, as I expected, Microsoft had nothing illuminating to say about Visual Basic, except to repeat its previous talking points. I expect we'll have to come closer to the actual release before there's any meaningful response on this topic, but we'll keep trying.

FWIW the folks at NeoOffice will be having the version with VBA support out at the end of March. Since at that time it will be a free download, maybe you or Rob Griffiths can give it a try. I would but I don't have any macros in the office files at work.

aaron said:
Gene Steinberg said:

FWIW the folks at NeoOffice will be having the version with VBA support out at the end of March. Since at that time it will be a free download, maybe you or Rob Griffiths can give it a try. I would but I don't have any macros in the office files at work.

It's definitely a possibility. Please remind me via email and I'll drop a note to Rob to see if he's up to testing that new version.

Gene Steinberg said:
It's definitely a possibility. Please remind me via email and I'll drop a note to Rob to see if he's up to testing that new version.

Hi Gene. I sent you an email about this last night. I just wanted to follow up and see if you received it.

Thanks,
Aaron

aaron said:
Gene Steinberg said:

Hi Gene. I sent you an email about this last night. I just wanted to follow up and see if you received it.

Thanks,
Aaron

Thanks. We'll definitely follow up on this.

Back