Recording Internet Radio Shows

A

Atlantin

My wife wants to record an internet radio show weekly. It is on for 2 hours at an inconvenient time ( supper time in our time zone ).

She needs to be able to schedule it to record automatically if possible.

She can listen to it using Safari and Microsoft's media player on her iMac (g5). However I can not get it connected to open on my Mac Mini (g4), perhaps since I have a "flip for mac" installed. I have tried with Safari, Omniweb and FireFox. I wonder why?

Is there a free piece of software to do this? If not, which commercial products are possible to use to record the internet broadcast and turn the file into a MP3 file to load into iTunes. Please rate the product for ease of use and effectiveness.

I found Audio Hijack by Rogue Amoeba and Audio Hijack Pro.

I also found Wire TapPro by Ambrosia Software.

Are there any others?

Any suggestions for me would be appreciated.

Atlantin

Atlantin said:
My wife wants to record an internet radio show weekly. It is on for 2 hours at an inconvenient time ( supper time in our time zone ).

She needs to be able to schedule it to record automatically if possible.

She can listen to it using Safari and Microsoft's media player on her iMac (g5). However I can not get it connected to open on my Mac Mini (g4), perhaps since I have a "flip for mac" installed. I have tried with Safari, Omniweb and FireFox. I wonder why?

Is there a free piece of software to do this? If not, which commercial products are possible to use to record the internet broadcast and turn the file into a MP3 file to load into iTunes. Please rate the product for ease of use and effectiveness.

I found Audio Hijack by Rogue Amoeba and Audio Hijack Pro.

I also found Wire TapPro by Ambrosia Software.

Are there any others?

Any suggestions for me would be appreciated.

Atlantin
The ones you mentioned are at the top of the list, and both the Ambrosia and Rogue Amoeba products get the job done. We use them to capture Skype audio with great success and that's a linchpin of radio shows these days, because it's a lot more flexible than the traditional lineline for interviews and such.

Thanks for the response.

Given the commercial products from Rogue Amoeba and Ambrosia will do he job, which one of the three is the EASIEST to use to automatically capture the internet radio show each week and convert the captured stream into a MP3 file to eventually use with her ipod?

Is it:

1) Audio Hijack,

2) Audio Hijack Pro, or

3) Wire Tap Pro?

Thanks.

Atlantin

Atlantin said:
Thanks for the response.

Given the commercial products from Rogue Amoeba and Ambrosia will do he job, which one of the three is the EASIEST to use to automatically capture the internet radio show each week and convert the captured stream into a MP3 file to eventually use with her ipod?

Is it:

1) Audio Hijack,

2) Audio Hijack Pro, or

3) Wire Tap Pro?

Thanks.

Atlantin

In terms of simplicity, I'd go for WireTap Pro. The other programs are great, but they probably provide more features than you need, if all you want to do is record one weekly program.

I know this topic is a few weeks old but better late han never. I have been using iRecordMusic http://www.bitcartel.com/index.html for the past eighteen months or so for recording streaming audio and I have to say it's a preety neat programe. They have a couple of other products you may want to check out. As a matter of fact I would be very interested in listening to an interview with these guys to see what else they have in the pipeline.

Ants

In response to the easiest capture product to use:

It is worth noting that wiretap will record system sounds as well. For example if you are recording the show and you get mail and it makes its "ding" sound, it will come out on your recording. Using audio hijack it will not which is a definite advantage.

Also, I could never get the scheduled recording feature to work in wiretap when I used to try to record the show before there was a podcast version available. That issue may be fixed now in wiretap, but it did not work last time I used it.

My votes for audio hijack.

Paul

Back