suggestions for a simple site?

Frootloop

Technology Fan
Hi Guys,

Im looking for suggestions of the best way to host/produce a simple site.

I produce illustration and artwork (largely for the craft industry) and would like to place it online for prospective customers to view my previous pieces. Im currently using GooglePageCreator, but am looking for something more customisable and easier to update. I was considering perhaps using a Blog or maybe some kind of solution using Joomla.

I dont need E-Commerce facilities or anything crazy, just a simple to maintain site that looks professional.

Frootloop said:
Hi Guys,

Im looking for suggestions of the best way to host/produce a simple site.

I produce illustration and artwork (largely for the craft industry) and would like to place it online for prospective customers to view my previous pieces. Im currently using GooglePageCreator, but am looking for something more customisable and easier to update. I was considering perhaps using a Blog or maybe some kind of solution using Joomla.

I dont need E-Commerce facilities or anything crazy, just a simple to maintain site that looks professional.

I'd suggest that you try WordPress. It's used by basic bloggers to such larger organizations as The New York Times.

Installation is fairly simple, and some Web hosts (such as HostICan, the one we use) offer one-click installations. There are loads of themes that you can use to create a fully formed site and lots of plug-ins to enhance the presentation and features.

We use it over at my commentary site, The Mac Night Owl in case you want to see it on action for yourself.

Thanks Gene,

Im aware of wordpress, looks simple to use. I know that they have a limited, hosted version too.

May have a look at HostICan too - see what hosting packages they offer.

I just dont want to get involved in rebuilding pages in HTML evertime i add content.... Im not lazy, i would just rather be producing designs lol

Frootloop said:
Thanks Gene,

Im aware of wordpress, looks simple to use. I know that they have a limited, hosted version too.

May have a look at HostICan too - see what hosting packages they offer.

I just dont want to get involved in rebuilding pages in HTML evertime i add content.... Im not lazy, i would just rather be producing designs lol

WordPress is simple to update. It has a Web-based interface, and you can make changes anywhere. So if you find a typo, for example, you can login from, say, a library's computer, and make the fix in a jiffy.

As to HostICan, they host all my sites an they're just great.

Gene Steinberg said:
WordPress is simple to update. It has a Web-based interface, and you can make changes anywhere. So if you find a typo, for example, you can login from, say, a library's computer, and make the fix in a jiffy.

Or I could go get an iPhone and update it while in Starbucks whilst clutching my Caramel Latte ;)

Just looking at HostICan's site and know you guys use them for the Paracast and this site, thats good enough reason for me. Would they deal with me as im in the UK?

Frootloop said:
Gene Steinberg said:

Or I could go get an iPhone and update it while in Starbucks whilst clutching my Caramel Latte ;)

Just looking at HostICan's site and know you guys use them for the Paracast and this site, thats good enough reason for me. Would they deal with me as im in the UK?

Absolutely. Their operations guy, Denis Motova, is from the UK. He's also my good buddy, and great to deal with.

Hi, its me again ;)

Well, over the holidays I (finally) managed got around to putting a simple blog together.... Ive used the hosted version of wordpress for now with the purchased "CSS" extra. If it goes ok on there, I will probably switch over to the self-host version. It appears to offer just what I need :) . Ive pointed my URL ( www.andy-carolan.co.uk ) at the blog and just need to sort out my favicon, then im there.

Im hopefully also using HostICan for some other stuff that I have in the pipeline.

Regards and Happy Holidays,

Andy

Back