The Insanely Great iPhone

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
Let me start with a controversial decision: While I will be happy to test the iPhone when it comes out, it's not very likely that I'll end up buying one.

Why?

Well first of all, it is exclusive to Cingular (soon to be rebranded AT&T all over again ;)), and that company doesn't rate so high when it comes to service quality and support. Yes I know they claim to have the fewest dropped calls, but there are questions just how that survey was conducted. In fact Verizon Wireless rates best, such as it is, but they're not getting the iPhone anytime soon or ever.

Second, I use my wireless phone for making and receiving phone calls, and not much more. I've played with Palm handhelds over the years, and, even assuming a superb interface on the iPhone, I don't know that I want to touch onto a tiny touch screen when I can speak a lot faster.

Well, I suppose there is the fact that I can check my email.

In any case, forget what I have to say.

I'm more interested here in what YOU have to say!

I'm using Cingular and have found them to be pretty decent. I may be a particular case since I need to be on a GSM network because I go to London for business often. As for the iPhone, I don't think I am going to be getting one based on the what we know so far. My main concern in Cingular making you get a high end data plan for the phone which could be lots of $$. The other reason is that although my Treo 60 isn't perfect, it allows me to use it for different things, for example I use it as my GPS while I am on the road. Something that I wouldn't be able to do with an iPhone. Not to mention that my work email is using Exchange and the mail application (as on now) only will do IMAP.

aaron said:
I'm using Cingular and have found them to be pretty decent. I may be a particular case since I need to be on a GSM network because I go to London for business often. As for the iPhone, I don't think I am going to be getting one based on the what we know so far. My main concern in Cingular making you get a high end data plan for the phone which could be lots of $$. The other reason is that although my Treo 60 isn't perfect, it allows me to use it for different things, for example I use it as my GPS while I am on the road. Something that I wouldn't be able to do with an iPhone. Not to mention that my work email is using Exchange and the mail application (as on now) only will do IMAP.

Of course, Verizon supposedly did get a chance to have the iPhone, but wouldn't agree to the demands of Apple. It's not that Apple would confirm any such thing, of course :)

I was giving some thought to on of the the questions that you asked Dan Eran, specifically why would the iPhone not be a success in the business arena and I think that major stumbling block was missed. Support for Exchange servers. Right now the only support that the iPhone's mail apps has is for IMAP. While I personally like IMAP and use it for my home email, many corporations (for better or worse) use Exchange for their email. Even small companies (such as the one I work for - about 20 people) use Exchange.

I know that you can have IMAP enabled in Exchange server but for some reason IT people don't really want to enable IMAP. I have been give lame reasons like "security issues" when I have asked about getting IMAP enabled.

Just some food for thought.

aaron said:
I was giving some thought to on of the the questions that you asked Dan Eran, specifically why would the iPhone not be a success in the business arena and I think that major stumbling block was missed. Support for Exchange servers. Right now the only support that the iPhone's mail apps has is for IMAP. While I personally like IMAP and use it for my home email, many corporations (for better or worse) use Exchange for their email. Even small companies (such as the one I work for - about 20 people) use Exchange.

I know that you can have IMAP enabled in Exchange server but for some reason IT people don't really want to enable IMAP. I have been give lame reasons like "security issues" when I have asked about getting IMAP enabled.

Just some food for thought.

I use IMAP mail for all my stuff. My mail provider, www.webmail.us, provides SSL for both incoming and outgoing. I guess that's the best you can get. So how safe is Exchange — really?

Back